Wixey digi read out for Planer and Groz bench plane

Jack Lemley

Hi All,

I am looking at buying the Wixey for me Dewalt 735. I am also thinking about getting the Groz #3 smooth plane on sale at Woodcraft. Anyone here have experience w/either or both and could share your thoughts?

Thanks
Jack

I've got the Wixey on my 734 and really like it. I see the newer version has a display that is angled up toward the operator. That is a nice improvement. Once set up I have only caught it out of calibration a couple times. I get more consistent readings with the foam tape removed and the guide screwed directly to my planer.

Wixey

Glenn,

Thanks for the info. Do you see this as a valuable add on for your planer? Do you think you can set it to 3/4" today and 3/4" 6 months from now and the boards be the same thickness for woodworking purposes?

Thanks
Jack

Absolutely. One maintenance item I have that your DW735 will not. I have to keep the carriage poles very clean or the torque-style lock will allow the height to increase a few thousandths as the rollers grip the material. As long as they are clean and grip tight, I am very confident in the DRO.

Of course at first, I was checking it about every other pass but quickly grew weary of it and now trust it quite well.

I've got the Wixey on my 734 and really like it. I see the newer version has a display that is angled up toward the operator. That is a nice improvement. Once set up I have only caught it out of calibration a couple times. I get more consistent readings with the foam tape removed and the guide screwed directly to my planer.

Did you know you can buy the newer angled one as an upgrade for $19.99 from Wixey if you have the older model?
http://www.wixey.com/planer/index.html