Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Who is it that is selling wood blanks?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tokyo Japan
    Posts
    15,644

    Who is it that is selling wood blanks?

    I seem to recall that there was someone online selling pen blanks etc, for a way to raise money for the adoption of their child...? I remember someone saying that the quality was good and the prices were right too.............

    someone help me out?

    Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,702
    Stu, a couple of the penturning forums had that post a number of months ago. I believe it is now a very old issue and there was some controversy associated with the offering.
    The penturning forums do have a number of people who post and sell blanks, me included.
    My favorite forum for pens is the The Pen Shop, not the biggest but very good folks, like here. I'll pm you with info on the blanks I sell and may have others you would be interested in.

  3. #3
    That was Curtis AKA MesquiteMan. The web site he had seems to be down and if I recall correctly him and his wife adopted successfully several months ago.

  4. #4
    Stu....It was Curtis Seebeck his link is www.TurnTex.com. Hope I didn't violate any rules by posting that link.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tokyo Japan
    Posts
    15,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Stu....It was Curtis Seebeck his link is www.TurnTex.com. Hope I didn't violate any rules by posting that link.
    Nope, you just helped out a fellow member of FW, thanks Ken!

    Mike and Frank too.

    Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    33.8736N, 117.7627W
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vickery View Post
    That was Curtis AKA MesquiteMan. The web site he had seems to be down and if I recall correctly him and his wife adopted successfully several months ago.
    And last time I was on the site, he said he was (temporarily?) out of the turning blank business due to lack of time.
    New kids will do that to ya.
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

  7. #7
    Stu,
    There was a little controversy over that. Asking for money for adoption and at the same time getting a new lathe, I think a 3520 or a Nova. I know a few people it didn't set well with. But, to Curtis's defense, when I finally did get my blanks I was more than happy with what I got. Brian

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    4
    Stu,

    It was me that was selling the blanks to help pay for our adoption expenses. By the grace of God, we were able to do a private adoption of a newborn baby girl January 21 of this year. Private adoptions cost about 1/5 that of agency adoptions so it only cost us $5,500 instead of $25,000 through an agency. As a result, we met our goal and paid for our entire adoption by selling wood on the internet. Since we no longer need to raise funds for the adoption, I have closed the Adoptwood.com website. Thank you very much for you interest though.

    Frank,

    The only controversey I ever saw was posted by JayR at Woodnet when I anounced that I had bought a new Nova DVR lathe. If you guys would have read the thread, you would have noticed that my Dad gave me money to buy the lathe since he is a big fan of my woodturning and wanted to help me get a better lathe since we had been dealing with all the stress of the adoption. Also, the lathe was bought AFTER we brought our duaghter home. NOT A SINGLE PENNY of the adoptwood money was ever used for anything except our adoption expenses. Once these obligations were met, we closed it down. If I was in it for the monetary benefit, I would have kept it open since no one would have known one way or another.

    Brian,

    Thank you for BUYING some blanks from me. You, along with 250 other woodturners helped make our family complete! Just to clarify, though, I don't believe I EVER "asked for money for adoption" from anyone. I simply provided pen and bowl blanks on the honor system. I shipped blanks to people all over the country and allowed them to pay whatever price they felt was fair. I never asked for donations from anyone. Some people paid less than the market value, some paid market value, and some paid more than market value. Some wanted to help us out while others just wanted a good deal on some nice wood. Heck, 15 people out of 250 completely stiffed me! All in all, it was a great experience all the way around.

    Anyway, I just wanted to clarify things and set the record straight. It was the real deal and nothing underhanded or controversial happened. Thanks for reading this!

    Curtis O. Seebeck
    www.TurnTex.com
    "Cactus Pen Pioneer"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Seebeck View Post
    Stu,

    It was me that was selling the blanks to help pay for our adoption expenses. By the grace of God, we were able to do a private adoption of a newborn baby girl January 21 of this year. Private adoptions cost about 1/5 that of agency adoptions so it only cost us $5,500 instead of $25,000 through an agency. As a result, we met our goal and paid for our entire adoption by selling wood on the internet. Since we no longer need to raise funds for the adoption, I have closed the Adoptwood.com website. Thank you very much for you interest though.

    Frank,

    The only controversey I ever saw was posted by JayR at Woodnet when I anounced that I had bought a new Nova DVR lathe. If you guys would have read the thread, you would have noticed that my Dad gave me money to buy the lathe since he is a big fan of my woodturning and wanted to help me get a better lathe since we had been dealing with all the stress of the adoption. Also, the lathe was bought AFTER we brought our duaghter home. NOT A SINGLE PENNY of the adoptwood money was ever used for anything except our adoption expenses. Once these obligations were met, we closed it down. If I was in it for the monetary benefit, I would have kept it open since no one would have known one way or another.

    Brian,

    Thank you for BUYING some blanks from me. You, along with 250 other woodturners helped make our family complete! Just to clarify, though, I don't believe I EVER "asked for money for adoption" from anyone. I simply provided pen and bowl blanks on the honor system. I shipped blanks to people all over the country and allowed them to pay whatever price they felt was fair. I never asked for donations from anyone. Some people paid less than the market value, some paid market value, and some paid more than market value. Some wanted to help us out while others just wanted a good deal on some nice wood. Heck, 15 people out of 250 completely stiffed me! All in all, it was a great experience all the way around.

    Anyway, I just wanted to clarify things and set the record straight. It was the real deal and nothing underhanded or controversial happened. Thanks for reading this!

    Curtis O. Seebeck
    www.TurnTex.com
    "Cactus Pen Pioneer"
    It was my 'recollection' of some discussion by those who didn't know the facts. Confess, I didn't recall the details. Negatives do seem to stick in the memory.
    Apologies for undeserved insinuation.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    4
    No problem at all, Frank! That is why I wanted to post this to clarify things. Besides, if you had not posted this, I may have never been told about this forum! Thank you!
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    www.TurnTex.com
    Need cactus pen blanks?

Similar Threads

  1. Selling my car - SOLD
    By Carol Reed in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 10:40 PM
  2. Wood Fusion Blanks
    By Melissa Hood in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 03:20 PM
  3. After Selling ..........
    By Les Elm in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-2013, 05:47 AM
  4. Selling out
    By Carol Reed in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 05:03 AM
  5. What You Selling?
    By Dan Mooney in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •