Who is it that is selling wood blanks?

Stuart Ablett

I seem to recall that there was someone online selling pen blanks etc, for a way to raise money for the adoption of their child...? I remember someone saying that the quality was good and the prices were right too.............

someone help me out?

Cheers!

Stu, a couple of the penturning forums had that post a number of months ago. I believe it is now a very old issue and there was some controversy associated with the offering.
The penturning forums do have a number of people who post and sell blanks, me included.
My favorite forum for pens is the The Pen Shop, not the biggest but very good folks, like here. I'll pm you with info on the blanks I sell and may have others you would be interested in.

That was Curtis AKA MesquiteMan. The web site he had seems to be down and if I recall correctly him and his wife adopted successfully several months ago.

Stu,
There was a little controversy over that. Asking for money for adoption and at the same time getting a new lathe, I think a 3520 or a Nova. I know a few people it didn't set well with. But, to Curtis's defense, when I finally did get my blanks I was more than happy with what I got. Brian

Stu,

It was me that was selling the blanks to help pay for our adoption expenses. By the grace of God, we were able to do a private adoption of a newborn baby girl January 21 of this year. Private adoptions cost about 1/5 that of agency adoptions so it only cost us $5,500 instead of $25,000 through an agency. As a result, we met our goal and paid for our entire adoption by selling wood on the internet. Since we no longer need to raise funds for the adoption, I have closed the Adoptwood.com website. Thank you very much for you interest though.

Frank,

The only controversey I ever saw was posted by JayR at Woodnet when I anounced that I had bought a new Nova DVR lathe. If you guys would have read the thread, you would have noticed that my Dad gave me money to buy the lathe since he is a big fan of my woodturning and wanted to help me get a better lathe since we had been dealing with all the stress of the adoption. Also, the lathe was bought AFTER we brought our duaghter home. NOT A SINGLE PENNY of the adoptwood money was ever used for anything except our adoption expenses. Once these obligations were met, we closed it down. If I was in it for the monetary benefit, I would have kept it open since no one would have known one way or another.

Brian,

Thank you for BUYING some blanks from me. You, along with 250 other woodturners helped make our family complete! Just to clarify, though, I don't believe I EVER "asked for money for adoption" from anyone. I simply provided pen and bowl blanks on the honor system. I shipped blanks to people all over the country and allowed them to pay whatever price they felt was fair. I never asked for donations from anyone. Some people paid less than the market value, some paid market value, and some paid more than market value. Some wanted to help us out while others just wanted a good deal on some nice wood. Heck, 15 people out of 250 completely stiffed me! All in all, it was a great experience all the way around.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify things and set the record straight. It was the real deal and nothing underhanded or controversial happened. Thanks for reading this!

Curtis O. Seebeck
www.TurnTex.com
"Cactus Pen Pioneer"

Stu,

It was me that was selling the blanks to help pay for our adoption expenses. By the grace of God, we were able to do a private adoption of a newborn baby girl January 21 of this year. Private adoptions cost about 1/5 that of agency adoptions so it only cost us $5,500 instead of $25,000 through an agency. As a result, we met our goal and paid for our entire adoption by selling wood on the internet. Since we no longer need to raise funds for the adoption, I have closed the Adoptwood.com website. Thank you very much for you interest though.

Frank,

The only controversey I ever saw was posted by JayR at Woodnet when I anounced that I had bought a new Nova DVR lathe. If you guys would have read the thread, you would have noticed that my Dad gave me money to buy the lathe since he is a big fan of my woodturning and wanted to help me get a better lathe since we had been dealing with all the stress of the adoption. Also, the lathe was bought AFTER we brought our duaghter home. NOT A SINGLE PENNY of the adoptwood money was ever used for anything except our adoption expenses. Once these obligations were met, we closed it down. If I was in it for the monetary benefit, I would have kept it open since no one would have known one way or another.

Brian,

Thank you for BUYING some blanks from me. You, along with 250 other woodturners helped make our family complete! Just to clarify, though, I don't believe I EVER "asked for money for adoption" from anyone. I simply provided pen and bowl blanks on the honor system. I shipped blanks to people all over the country and allowed them to pay whatever price they felt was fair. I never asked for donations from anyone. Some people paid less than the market value, some paid market value, and some paid more than market value. Some wanted to help us out while others just wanted a good deal on some nice wood. Heck, 15 people out of 250 completely stiffed me! All in all, it was a great experience all the way around.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify things and set the record straight. It was the real deal and nothing underhanded or controversial happened. Thanks for reading this!

Curtis O. Seebeck
www.TurnTex.com
"Cactus Pen Pioneer"

It was my 'recollection' of some discussion by those who didn't know the facts. Confess, I didn't recall the details. Negatives do seem to stick in the memory.
Apologies for undeserved insinuation.

No problem at all, Frank! That is why I wanted to post this to clarify things. Besides, if you had not posted this, I may have never been told about this forum! Thank you!

Hey Curtis,
Like I had said I was more than happy with the blanks I got. By the pic it looks like she is growing and in a happy and family environment. When you have time, like that will happen with a child around, you should post your cactus pens here. For those that don't know Curtis is very talented.
Also, if you have any of that Hackberry around I sure could use some more. Need a large blank at least 8or 9" square. Thickness of around 4 or more inches. and spalted. I need to make one more bowl to match the ones I made from the blanks you sent. Thanks again, Brian

Sorry I missed this, my bad, got busy with other stuff.

Curtis, WELCOME! :thumb:

Great looking kid you have there, I have two of my own, but man they are growing like bad weeds :D

Hey, I have a DVR 3K as well, just love that lathe!

Well, thanks for posting, and PLEASE do post a bit about your cactus pens, they are SIMPLY amazing! :thumb:

Cheers!:wave: