Toothpick Holder

I know you were just funning me Kerry, no worries! :wave:

Well, I got one done...........

toothpick_dispenser1.JPG
Not my best effort, but I was learning how to do this as I was going along, so.......... well at least that is my excuse :D

toothpick_dispenser2.JPG
Hey, look, pull this thing up and there are toothpicks! :eek:

toothpick_dispenser3.JPG
No "Store Bought" hardwood dowel for me, I turn mine.......................... (mainly because I don't have any dowels.... :doh:)

Well, now that I know how to do these, I'm sure I'll be making some more!

Cheers!

Wow - that was quick! I like the curve at the top of the "dowel".

I guess you made the "inside part" in 4 pieces then? Nobody has shown a picture of the bottom of their "basket" yet.... :dunno:

Great looking holder Stu. Way to go. I just happen to have some pieces of oak dowel lying around just right for this and decided to use them up.

By the way I just got orders in for 7 more. That will make 11 not counting mine. $22.50 a piece and they all said yes.

Once I get my project backlog a little caught up, I want to try making some of these. I'm looking for some lower-priced things to add to my show display, but something different from what the other turners I've seen at the local shows selling. Toothpick holders might be the ticket.

Way to go, Bernie! You sure know how to get your money's worth (and more) out of a magazine subscription! :thumb:

===============================

Stu ... thanks for the pics. I appreciate it! :wave:

I noticed that you have a matching curve at the bottom of the dowel. Cool. I wondered if that might reduce the toothpick-holding capacity of the holder ... but if anyone needs that many toothpicks at one sitting they have worse problems. :rofl:

I'm watching the videos right now. I actually skimmed through the printed article when my issue of WOOD came, but now I can't find the magazine! (This to explain why I haven't checked the article ... to see if they show what they did at the bottom of the "basket".)

Making the "removable assembly" out of 4 separate pieces obviously gives the option of using contrasting colors. But it seems like the base of the "basket" could be made a little thicker (and/or the dowel hole a little more shallow), so the dowel wouldn't come all the way through. :dunno:

I still think that your curves on the "dowel" piece would lend themselves well to a one- or two-piece "removable assembly". Am I gonna hafta incite the crowd again? :D

Way to go, Bernie! You sure know how to get your money's worth (and more) out of a magazine subscription! :thumb:

Yep Kerry I just got orders for 3 salt/pepper mills with toothpick holders all for $58.50 per set. I am kinda liking this. That paid for my new tool headed down this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete I use the deluxe pepper mill and salt mill out of CSUSA. They are 365-0008 and 365-2008 on page 84. I also get the Redmond Sea Salt for the salt grinder. They do sell pretty well so far here. If I just do a salt shaker I use 365-1000 top and 123-0148 rubber bung on page 85.