Silly Poll: how organized are you?

9 times out of 10 I could walk into the shop blindfolded and lay hands upon...

• My Wooden mallet or Favourite Hammer

Votes: 45 46.9%
  • My Red Robertson (or favourite size screwdriver)

Votes: 38 39.6%
  • My Go-To tape measure

Votes: 43 44.8%
  • My Cordless Drill/Driver

Votes: 58 60.4%
  • NONE of those. Not that organized.

Votes: 30 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WAY to organized and neat . . .

I'm told. Work shop out back, assembly room ( pool table room by previous owner ), finnish room ( spare bed room ) and shipping and receiveing ( garage ) with many projects rotating through each. But its business ( I like to think ). Other wives come in and look around and start on their spouses " why can't yours look like this ? ". I guess I make 'em look bad but mine is to make money AND have fun. As to finding the hammer . . . took seven years to get LOML to hang it back " where it goes ". Now SHE can find it blindfolded and she LIKES it ! Now if I could get her to admit I'M THE COOK and put things " where they go " in the kitchen I'd be in heaven !

To paraphrase Vaughn, My shop is a study in clutter organized.:D I mean, I've got a clutter over here on this flat surface, some more clutter over here on that flat surface...etc, etc. I should never have built the benches this past year!!:rofl:
Eventually, when I get a home for everything, I'll be able to get organized. Right now, I need to get busy building shelves in my cabinets so I have a place to put things. I'm usually pretty good with hand tools. My two wall boxes have a place for them, and I normally put them back, but not always. Jim.

Part of my problem is I'm always midway through a reorganization. The other part is I've always got 30 projects going and another 30 planned.:rolleyes:

Yea, that's my story too and I'm sticking to it:D

I like to refer to it as semi organized chaos. The semi cuz I usually know were things are, the chaos cuz sometimes I can't :eek:

Reminds me of a graphic I have hanging in my office;)

Mike

0482_normal.jpg

I guess one could say my shop is pretty well organized. What I need is usually right at hand. Neat? Never. Cluttered? Yes. Would you like it? Probably not. But, it's my shop and I'm happy in there.

When you think about it... for most of us, the shop itself is the only thing we make strictly for ourselves.

When you think about it... for most of us, the shop itself is the only thing we make strictly for ourselves.

That is why I cannot imagine someone not wanting it organized. I am not criticizing anyone, but the ratio of my want-to-be-in-the-shop time to actually-in-the-shop time is so out of kilter, that when I am in there I want it to be a pleasant and productive environment. I don't want to waste my time looking for a tool. I want to use it and make stuff.

Of course my problem is, I often try to press my organizational habits on other people. We have a huge shop at work, and yet with only 7 people in there, its often hard to find a place to work. "If we organized stuff", I say, but then they all tell me..

"Shut up Travis". So I stay mum.

You don't want to go anywhere near my shop.
I try to keep it organized but it just doesn't seem to happen.

I can almost always find what I need, and the important stuff has a place, the problem is getting that stuff back in it's place in a timely manner.

My shop is usually organized enough that I could send someone in to find the usual tools but since early last fall I have been working on the interior doors, stair parts and trim for our new house. The shop is so cramped that it looks very disorganized.
Normally the shop looks like this
http://www.superwoodworks.com/Projects/ShopShots.htm
Now it looks like this
http://www.superwoodworks.com/Projects/PanelDoors.htm
It is hard to work in when it is this cluttered

I keep telling myself, one of these days when I am passing through your area I am going to stop by and say Howdy. I did a rocket run around Christmas and drove right by your town on my way to Garden.

I keep telling myself, one of these days when I am passing through your area I am going to stop by and say Howdy. I did a rocket run around Christmas and drove right by your town on my way to Garden.

I keep looking for ya Steve. Too bad you did'nt stop by.
I had some time off over Xmas.

I keep looking for ya Steve. Too bad you did'nt stop by.
I had some time off over Xmas.

Next time I am up there longer than a rocket run I am going to look you up.

You are about 45 minutes from Garden where I stay, so that is just a hop skip and a jump to get there. Brother still lives in Rapid River, so we get up your way a couple times a year.

How Organized are you?

My shop is not organized in the manner I would like, however, I can pretty
well find any tool I might want or tell someone else where to find it without
any trouble.

If I had to send someone to my shop to fetch the table saw I could tell them exactly where it is...anything smaller than that might be a problem.

If I had to send someone to my shop to fetch the table saw I could tell them exactly where it is...anything smaller than that might be a problem.

That would be a problem in my shop. I do not own a tablesaw.:D If my freind ever gets around to redoing his kitchen. He has been "getting ready" for over a year now. Then I will have his old base cabinets for the new shop. This will give me more room for storage.