froze out

Frank Fusco

Gotta confess. I haven't had much spinning time lately. Weather is just plain too cold and shop is way uncomfortable. Unusual for the Ozarks. Happens but not often. Have three pens that need to be turned, folks waiting. And, yesterday I got an order for seven pens. Sure glad I bought a bigger more powerful lathe. :rolleyes:

Frank, I'm right there with you...to cold to go out to the garage...below zero at night most of this week. I did go out and clean a little one night this week because my parents will be in town this weekend and hope to get out there with my dad tomorrow. Can't wait for spring!

Yup! That's why I insulated and installed a gas furnace in my shop. Otherwise I wouldn't be using it 5 months out of the year. It's not good to be shivering while using a skew to turn a pen!:D

Yup! That's why I insulated and installed a gas furnace in my shop. Otherwise I wouldn't be using it 5 months out of the year. It's not good to be shivering while using a skew to turn a pen!:D

This doesn't happen often enough to justify adding a heater. The shop is actually part of our basement on a hillside house. I can open the door to my office and get some heat in but it causes the furnace to run non-stop and overheat the rest of the house.

I don't turn in my shop, but at -10 below (F) this morning, I'm out of shop time too. Just as well, I got Alyson for the entire weekend.

There is a huge ice storm south of us and moving north. Getting ready. I got a supply of candles from the freezer. That's where I store them. Made sure my firestarters are at hand. Put some candle lanterns on the table. Made sure my spare gasoline can is full. Got out the generator. Won't start. Uh-Oh! :eek: Been a couple months since I tried starting it. Will try later. Wife is picking up some groceries. I'll go to get some Coleman fuel for cookstove and a right angle adapter for propane bottles to keep a propane lantern going. Some batteries too. We have plenty of water, including for toilet flushing. Our back-up heat is a little propane fireplace with 250 gal. tank outside. We're OK there. Lessee, what else? Got a book for Christmas I haven't read, can do that by light of propane lantern. We're set. Yep, cell phones are charged and guns loaded.

I hear you on the cold shop thing - even though mine is in the basement too! Last week LOML was complaining how cold her sewing area was, so I got some sheet foam insulation and taped that into the window openings. Wow, what a difference! Not that we'll be down there in shorts, but it is much better. Just wish I had done that 14 years ago.:rolleyes::doh:
I hope it thaws out for you soon!

Wes

Glad to see you have all the bases covered. You never know when the loonies will come out. Keep your powder dry.
Dale

We are in a semi-rural but isolated spot. No one would see anything if untoward activities were taking place. I don't want friends and neighbors to read headlines that say "An elderly couple were found dead in their home after......".
Not without a fight.