Baldor Grinder question

Ken Garlock

Some time last year, I think it was December, I ordered a pair of Norton 3X grinding wheels for my Baldor grinder. Well finally the wheels arrived this week, after being back ordered. To enhance the grinding experience, I called our friends at One-way and ordered their grinding wheel balancing kit. I also asked for the kit that was used with Baldor grinders.

This afternoon I went through the ritual of balancing the new wheels. Overall, I am happy with the results. Nearly all the vibration is gone and what is left is quite small, not enough to go thru the third degree of wheel balancing again.

Finally, my problem is that I am not happy with the way the balanced wheels fit on the Baldor grinder. I did not find a separate bag in the shipment that said it was a Baldor kit. As it stands, the wheel assembly extends out enough from the motor housing that there is not enough room to put the cover plate back on the grinder frame.

Soooo,,,, Have any of you good people installed the One Way balancing kit on a Baldor grinder???? If you have, what was contained in the "Baldor Kit"?

Come Monday, I will hop on the land line to One Way and ask about 1) the kit contents, 2) the proper fit of the assembly in the grinder. I thought I would has here first in case I had another of my famous "senior moments" and the answer was obvious.

Ken, here’s one of those responses that aren’t much help….:rolleyes:
I installed the 3X wheels and One Way balancing system on my Delta 8”, 1/2hp grinder without issue. I did replace the OEM flange washers with the washers that came with the balancing system. What is different about the Baldor that it needs a “kit”?

Hi Bruce. The Baldor has a nearly totally enclosed grinding wheel. Casting extend from the motor housing to form half of the wheel cover. Another casting mates with the motor extension to complete the enclosure. About 40% of the front of the enclosure is open to give access to the grinding wheel. The back bottom of the enclosure has an exhaust stub that can be hooked to a collector. Basically, the thing is built like the proverbial brick outhouse with the intention of being used in a factory environment.

The standard configuration has a 1/4, maybe 3/8 thick by 2" plus cast washer that fits on the inside and outside of the grinding wheel. There is a small pin the arbor that mates with a slot in the inside washer to keep it from slipping on the shaft. This mounting for the grinding wheel with balancing system requires what I am guessing is a new set of washers to get the wheel properly position so that the cast cover will fit.

Here is picture of it from the Baldor site. Mine is gray, and turns at 1700 RPM

I’m thinking that One Way owes you some special washers.
If you had bought a plain-Jane grinder like mine instead of that highbrow Baldor you wouldn’t have these problems. :rofl:

I wish I had bought the Baldor. My cheap Delta has a slightly bent shaft so my wheels wobble a little. Very annoying when I try to use the side of the wheel.

Hey Bruce, I got the fancy grinder on a close out at the Dallas area "Best hardware store ever," Elliots.:thumb: I thin I paid around half of the list price, otherwise I would be using my old Grizzly grinder. I use the Grizz for sharpening lawn mower blades and other yard tools.

Very annoying when I try to use the side of the wheel.

Bruce, safety protocol says you are NEVER supposed to use the side of the grinding wheel. The uneven heat that is generated can...and often does...cause the grinding stone to fragment.

The grinding wheels like on hand grinders and stuff that do use the side of the wheel are reinforced to prevent this.

Bruce, safety protocol says you are NEVER supposed to use the side of the grinding wheel. The uneven heat that is generated can...and often does...cause the grinding stone to fragment.

The grinding wheels like on hand grinders and stuff that do use the side of the wheel are reinforced to prevent this.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, then why do many industrial grinders have U shaped rests? As long as you don’t “lean hard” into the side of the wheel it won’t hurt a thing. If you went into a job shop and told them that, they would laugh you out the door. :rofl:
You forget, I have been doing this professionally for almost 40 years.

Just my humble opinion, of course… :rolleyes:

The last pic is of the tool rests that I made for my cheapo Delta 8”

Attachments

• jlj;lj.jpg
    jlj;lj.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 4a50_1.jpg
    4a50_1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DG.jpg
    DG.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Yesterday I sent an Email to the OneWay people explaining that I didn't get an adapter kit for my Baldor grinder. This morning early, I received a short response that they would send me the "washers." I wrote back and asked that they include instructions as to where they are placed on the arbor. Now that may seem like a simple thing, but I like to have specific details on things like this. I might also add that the instruction sheet had a couple lines that could be more clearly stated.

So, if they send the washers posthaste I will be a happy camper.