Problem with the PM

Vaughn, are there any other letters, numbers or markings on that POT besides the RV24YN20S? It seems that that number is a model number of a POT that is manufactured in several different ohm size ranges. It may be that the only way to determine it's size is to use your Ohm meter as you mentioned, if there are no other markings on it that would designate the size range. ('course my Japanese reading is Nil, too).:rofl::rofl:

One of my really pet Peeve's for many years, has been the fact that almost ALL Mfrs just love to leave out electronic part numbers and values, because they want you to have to go back to them and pay ridiculous prices for, in many cases, a ten cent part, that you could upgrade for fifteen cents and eliminate future problems.:(

I would suggest that when you get the new replacement part, and before ever installing it, (either now or later), measure it with your ohm meter and mark it on the box for future reference.

Sorry about the problem, and hope you're up and running again soon.

I seriously doubt the folks at my local Radio Shack would know what a pot is, let alone how to determine its value. :rolleyes:

Oh, come on, you're joking, right?? I've been in those stores before and seen the smoke coming out of the mgrs office. I mean, it's no wonder they can't find where they keep....Oops, you were talking about an electronic part, huh? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I hope you were able to find what you need. The RS stores around here don't carry squat. And RS is headquartered here!!! Where's Trice Wholesale Electronics when you need them? Jim.

One last thought, Vaughn.

Mouser Electronics in Mansfield Tx. (south of Fort Worth) has just about any electronic component you might need in their 432,000 sqft facility.

The nice thing about them is that they will sell you one of anything they stock, no minimum order.:thumb:

Vaughn, are there any other letters, numbers or markings on that POT besides the RV24YN20S? ...
Norman, it also says B502 and 078C. My trusty dusty analog VOM (with a fresh AA battery in it) says it's a 5K pot (checked and matched on three different scales). Off to see if Radio Smack has one. :wave:

Well, it's spinning again, but not without a moment of worry. I put the new potentiometer in it, plugged it in, and nothing. After double-checking to see that I had everything wired per the diagram, still nothing. Then I bypassed the remote switch. Bingo!

So, it was the remote switch, as I'd suspected all along. Turns out the lead on the pot just broke as the result of removing and reinstalling the control panel a few too many times. Also, the wire on the broken lead was shorter than it needed to be, so just about any time I messed with the other connections, that lead was stressed. With the new pot, and a longer wire with more slack, it should be good to go.

I'll contact PM this week and see about getting a new switch. I figure the broken pot was as much my fault as theirs (even if it was cheesy material), so I'll eat the $2.99 the replacement cost me.

Anyway, I'm back in business. And today I was thanking my high school science teacher for the semester of basic electronics he taught me way back when. That old knowledge changed what could have been a major pain into a minor inconvenience. :thumb: