Son of Sam

That has got to be against some sort of woodworking law...naming your bench after a criminal that was less then family woodworking friendly. If memory serves me right, wasn't he the one that blamed his killings, not only on his dog, but also on magazines of dubious moral character...if you know what I mean?

That just goes to show you right there that he is delusional. I've never killed anyone and I've read plenty of...

Well, lets just say he is indeed delusional. :)

I think I would name your bench Blascoson. After all some family member of mine years ago was named Johnson and not Son of John. :thumb:

Alan
Glad you and the Rover came out OK. Hope the wood survived too.

The top was planned at 4" but I think it came out around 3-3/4 due to ply actual thickness and running it through a wide belt sander a few times. It's got 2 bottom horizontal sheets, a layer of laminated vertical strips, another horizontal, then the top vertical layer. The end vise for the LV twinscrew came out to 8-3/8. The front vise is a Tucker and is going to sit in that wierd notch on the far left corner so the rear vise jaw is flush with the bench front.
I'll second that purpleheart comment. You almost need to keep a pair of tweezers in your pocket while working on it. I wanted something darker to contrast with the BB ply color and didn't have a lot of choices in 8/4 at my local hardwood source. The purpleheart turned out to be one of the more economical ones.

On the advice of someone (cant recall who at the moment) on SMC to get the thickest leather you can find for vise use, I found some buffalo leather on the bay thats 1/4" thick. Was pklanning on using contact cement for that too.