SCMS cabinet adjustmentability. Plea for ideas! (long)

Jim O'Dell

Many of you know that I have a 24' wall (actual inside dimensions are closer to 23' 4") with about a 36" cut out in the middle with a box bay window centered in this cut out. My plan was (is?) to be able to put different tools in this 36" spot as needed, and be able to use the cabinet space on either side as infeed/outfeed tables. I have a "fence" of sorts built into the cabinets I plan to use. This picture shows the right side cabinet. DSCN1656.jpg
Knowing how wood moves, especially in a shop that is not climate controlled, I feel I need to build in some adjustment for movement to be able to keep the SCMS table coplaner to the cabinet top, and the fence coplaner to the cabinet fences. The part for the table top will be easily accomplished by using adjustable feet on the mobile cabinet. But how do I make for adjusting the top front to back? I don't think I'll need side to side, but the top may need to pivot slightly. This should not be hard to build in with a little slop in the mounting holes and fender washers to bridge the extra space. In my mind, I'm wanting to do something that I can adjust with star knobs on threaded rods from the front, but that is probably way too overkill.
Any ideas? Scrap the whole thing? :huh: :doh: :rofl: TIA!! Jim.

Glenn, that would definately allow it to pivot about a single axis, but not the back to front slide. I realize this is probably a 2 part solution. I've been thinking some more on this. What about something simple along the ideas of the base as you show, and two routed slots front to back. The bolts would go through the slots in the base, into t-nuts in the table. That would allow it to slide front to back. The bolts could be studs in a star shaped handle like t-track parts are made. Build in a little slop in the slots, and it would allow the table to "pivot" a small amount, thus allowing me to align the fence to coplanicity. :D:D:thumb: I Guess I could apply some UHMW (are those the right letters?) tape so that the 2 surfaces slide easily. But would it lock down securely or keep sliding? Maybe I need the mobile base, and the top with four C clamps!! :D Thanks for the note, Glenn. Jim.

:huh: Umm, are you over thinking this? Is the wood really going to move enough to matter?? Your the first person I have run into that was concerned about it.

Jeff, I concern myself with lots of things that don't really matter. :rofl: And yes, I probably am over thinking and over engineering this. But that is part of what makes me happy. :D
Part of it is that since this will be a mobile cart being plugged into a semi-nonmobile wall of cabinets, I feel I need to be able to make up for any movement that happens. Probably not so much climate caused movement as I stated in my post, but more "this thing never sits in the same way twice" type of thing. Any way, I think I've come up with a good solution using some heavy duty T-track. I'm going to try it and see if it works, then come back and cry on your shoulder if it doesn't. :D Jim.