a jet/tormek review for your perusal

jim capozzi

ok so when the jet first came out i asked myself whats the diffrence ? this review sheds some light on that subject i think .........

i have no affiliation to this guy , just passing along some info .... the mods can move or delete if it is inappropriate .

I have used the TORMEK unique sharpening system for over eight years. Writing this review is in response to questions posed by several of my students, and fellow woodworkers. Having conducted classes on the TORMEK, taught numerious woodworkers and sharpen edge tools professionally. (I have sharpened thousands of edge tools over the years.)

My feeling is: I am qualified to write a review on the TORMEK sharpening system.

Which system should I buy ? TORMEK or JET ?

You get what you pay for. Ever hear that statement before ? Of course you did, and we have all made those costly purchases. With the TORMEK you are buying the best designed, well constructed machine of its kind, bar none.

The TORMEK system has an AC induction motor, mounted on a hinge system. The recent JET knock off uses a DC motor on a fixed mounting system. (That's why they have a Torque adjustment.) The hinge system keeps the weight of the motor on the drive wheel ( ? correct term) resulting in constant torque, and no need for adjustments. Without going into the design aspects of motors, here are the differences between the two. The motor in the TORMEK is designed for continuous operation 24/7/365. The other brand can't do that, you could burn the motor out. TORMEK makes (or did make) a model for the European market which uses a DC motor. They tell you up front to turn off the machine after 1/2 hour and allow to cool down. There is no such advice given by the JET manufacturer. The JET has an adjustable speed, however, this is only effective with no load. Under a load the TORMEK maintains a much higher percentage of the speed and torque, as compared to the JET.

TORMEK has stainless steel wheel and axel mounting washers, to prevent rust build-up on the axle. JET has zinc carbon washers. Rust build-up will lead to excessive wear on the axle bushings, Also your grinding wheel could freeze to the axle. If it freezes YOU CANNOT REMOVE IT. The JET has a larger water tray and drip guides. Plus a tool storage tray, these are nice things to have.

Jigs, Instruction books: Jigs are better designed and constructed with the TORMEK. An excellent hardcover book comes with the TORMEK. Which explains not only the system, it also covers all aspects of sharpening edge tools. Unless Jet has changed in the last few months, there is no instruction book. OK, so I'm all for the TORMEK. Please understand that the JET is a good system, used by the home hobbyist who only sharpens a few tools a month. For the amount of price difference, the TORMEK wins hands down. If you now own, or are going to buy a product similar to the TORMEK, do your self a favor and look at the TORMEK jigs.

If you have any questions about this review or the systems, feel free to e-mail me

Thank you

acaciawoodguy

PS. I welcome TORMEK to contact me, I have some suggestions. Jet also.

i have no affiliation to this guy , just passing along some info .... the mods can move or delete if it is inappropriate .

Thanks for passing along the info, Grizz. I'm not a Mod, but I don't see this as being inappropriate at all.

On a related subject, has anyone here seen (or better yet, used) the new Grizzly knock-off of the Tormek/Jet-style slow speed wet grinder yet? I keep seeing the picture on the back of the latest catalog, and wondering if I could put it to use. I really don't think I could justify the cost of the Tormek, but unless the Grizzly version is a complete piece of junk, it seems like I could maybe find some uses for it. I do realize it's not a Tormek, but I'm still curious to see if it's worth the $169 price tag.