was this necessary

It might be difficult to impossible to get objective responses to this question. But, I'm interested in what others think.
My woodturning club has a demo day, or two, every year. We try to hire a professional turner to come in for the demo.
Several months ago, I queried Bill Grumbine about his availability and charges. He told me. I passed the info on to our club president.
Yesterday the club president announced the selection of another individual to do the demo. OK, that's life.
I asked the club president if he wanted me to notify Bill that he would not be invited. Club pres. said he didn't think that would be necessary and even questioned me as to why I thought it would be.
OK, my opinion. Just common courtesy makes it 'necessary'. I have corresponded with Bill. Gentleman that he is, he understands.
Now, if you can divorce the fact that Bill is a friend and member here, and be objective and truthful, I want the jury to voice whether they believe such notification is necessary or not.

Necessary, no. Common courtesy and a pre-req for dealing with someone again in the future, absolutely.

Frank...
My guess is that Bill will be your friend longer than the current club president will hold that office. You seem to be a pretty good people person, and imo your first responsibility is to treat Bill as a friend and respected colleague in whatever way makes sense to you. Let the other dude trip along his insensitive path as he will, since he's not likely to show up as even a tiny blip on your life's radar (there are many other less gracious ways to say that...feel free to substitute).
Cheers.

Well stated. Thank you.
Frank