I got some wood too

Chuck Ellis

Just saw Frank's post about the Walnut and Persimmon.. I've never turned persimmon, but have seen some pieces turned from the wood... beautiful wood.. nice color and grain. There's two wild persimmons growing across the road in front of my house in front of an old tobacco barn. The neighbor who owns the land has been logging up behind the barn, so I am waiting for the persimmons to die or get hit by one of the logging trucks so I can cut up some of it... it's nice wood.

I just got back from scrounging some wood from a neighbor's front yard.. he said it was okay.. it was a huge willow.. the trunk that was laying in the yard was about 6 ft long by at least 25 or 30" diameter... I had an 18" bar on my saw and had to cut from both sides to get through the trunk. It's still a little wet, the tree's been dead about a year he said and the center of the stump was hollow, about 6 or 8" diam.. eaten out by tree ants. Some nice spalting starting and some nice pinkish color in some of the wood. Hope that holds as it drys.

Attachments

• willow 002.JPG
    willow 002.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 33
  • willow 003.JPG
    willow 003.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 30
  • willow 007.JPG
    willow 007.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 25
  • willow 008.JPG
    willow 008.JPG