moving a lathe

Bill Pealer

I MAY be moving to a different state. Should I remove the head & tail stock & pack them in separate boxes or can I leave them on the lathe. I would use ties to prevent movement if I can.

I think I'd remove the headstock and tailstock. It probably wouldn't hurt to leave them on, but I think removing them would lessen the chance of something breaking (especially if it were to fall over). It would also depend on the lathe itself. A mini would be less likely to have problems than a big one. What kind of lathe are you talking about?

Well, I'd say you have two choices;

1) Break the lathes down into more easily manageable pieces, ones that either one person, or two working together can manage.

2) Crate up each lathe, complete with all the various pieces of kit, and make the crates so they can be moved by pallet jack or forklift.

I guess the second option would depend on how you are moving, is this a "U-haul" job, or is a moving company doing it?

If a company is doing it, and you tell them there were be a few heavy crates that will need pallet jacks etc, they should be able to handle it, if you are doing it yourself, then maybe the first option is better...? :dunno:

Even if you are doing it yourself you can maybe borrow or rent a pallet jack, or HF sells them..............

<- Linky Pic

I know that if you have a shop of any size, a pallet jack can come in real handy.

If you do break the lathes down into smaller components, take pictures of the lathes before you start removing stuff, and during, just so you can see where everything went. I'd also find some of them packing blankets that movers use, and wrap each piece well, then tie them up well with ropes or something that you can grip... :huh:

Whatever you do, if you are going to hand bog stuff around, make sure you can get a good safe grip on things, cast iron can be heavy, and sometimes the edges of stuff are sharper than you realize.

Best of luck!