GLOAT!!! - See what Brown can do for you.

Nancy Laird

Today, after most of the ice and snow had melted off, a big brown truck made its way into our driveway and offloaded--

IMG_0783.jpg
Nine - 9 - count 'em, 9 boxes---

IMG_0784.jpg
See - sent to us

IMG_0785.jpg
David could hardly wait to get home from work to start opening boxes and playing with his new toys (although you'd never know he was happy to look at this picture!).

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

We are replacing the 1-1/2hp unit with a 2-1/2hp, reconfiguring a little, and ordered the "auto-on" blast gates from PSI. So--when a gate is opened, the DC will turn on automatically. No more walking across the shop to turn on the circuit breaker (since the last remote bit the dust) or searching for the remote.

We weren't so lucky as Ken - they had the 2-1/2hp units in stock and we didn't get an upgrade
frown.gif
, but that's okay. This one will last until we die.

So when your using this unit do you have to leave a gate open so your not turning the motor off & on to many times in an hour? As I understand it each motor is rated to be started only so many times in an hour.

You know I've worked in a few shops, industrial types, with DC, and no one ever told me NOT to turn on the DC as I needed it, cause it would wear out the motor.....:rolleyes:

I don't know for sure, but I've only been hearing this story in the last few years, it does make sense that any mechanical item has a "Usage" life, and I'm sure that if you were to start and stop an electrical motor 30 times a minute for 24 hours it would not be good for it, but this is really starting to sound like an internet myth.

Not an attack at you Bart, I know you mean only well in mentioning it, but I'd like to see, from a manufacturer of electric motors some sort of a rating for the number of times a motor can be started and stopped per hour, before I'd buy into this.

Could it be that this has more to do with the older type of induction motor that has actual physical contacts for the start up circuit? I could see not wanting to have your six year old playing with the on/off switch on those units, as the contacts are actually physical contacts, and they could over heat, but a modern motor, do they still have those? Or how about a 3-phase motor, do they have them at all?

Don't know enough about it, but something seems to stink a bit with this whole idea of "Don't start and stop your motor too often, or you will wear it out" line of thinking. Does this count for table saws too? :huh:

Sorry for the Hijack Nancy.....

Nancy - Congrats! I bought the 3hp a couple of years ago. It is nice to have the extra CFM. Now the fun part is putting this together. Did you get the stand or are you using the mounting bracket?

Well, a little bit of Googling and it seems there is some truth to this, but all the sites I could find are talking about fairly large 3-phase motors, stuff all over 5 Hp...... :huh:

I'd like to hear what a company like Oneida has to say about this subject, do they recommend that you NOT start the motors more than "X" number of times per hour? :dunno:

Some more searching.....

From the book

Water Pumps and Pumping Systems by James B. Rishel
Page 8.10

motor_starts.jpg

I'd still like to hear from the motor maker, but it seems to me that most of use with DC systems running in the 2 - 3 Hp category are going to be safe here, I very much doubt that we will be switching the DC on and off that much, I'd say 15 to 20 starts an hour could be within the specs, but that means turning the DC on and off every two to three minutes.....

I'd be we are safe :rolleyes:

But, I'd sure like to hear from anyone with some hard info on this subject.

Cheers!

So when your using this unit do you have to leave a gate open so your not turning the motor off & on to many times in an hour? As I understand it each motor is rated to be started only so many times in an hour.

Bart, I don't know the answer to your question. :dunno: I'm not sure that we'd have a problem, as I'm thinking that we won't be turning it on and off that much. David will do one thing on the Unisaw, then something else on the radial-arm saw, then something else on the jointer, usually these take a few minutes (not just one board at a time--he tries to gang the jobs). We'll see how it goes and take a look after using it for a while.

Now the fun part is putting this together. Did you get the stand or are you using the mounting bracket?

Mike, we got the mounting bracket that will hang the unit on the wall. The fun part is getting the unit up onto the mounting bracket with the motor on the top!! I think it's going to take 3 or 4 burly men - I'm sure not going to try it, not after the "fun" we had getting Rick Levine's DC set up in his shop last year!! The darned thing (onto a stand) almost fell over on me!!:eek:

Nancy

Congratulations Nancy !!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I don't know what you have over your shop but if you have any attic type space available my vote is to put the cyclone up there. It sure cuts down on the noise, not to mention saving that precious wall and floor space.

DT

Attachments

• Cyclone 4 (507 x 676).jpg
    Cyclone 4 (507 x 676).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Cyclone 3 (507 x 676).jpg
    Cyclone 3 (507 x 676).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Pulley and winch (676 x 507).jpg
    Pulley and winch (676 x 507).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Cyclone 2 (676 x 507).jpg
    Cyclone 2 (676 x 507).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 15
Congratulations Nancy !!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I don't know what you have over your shop but if you have any attic type space available my vote is to put the cyclone up there. It sure cuts down on the noise, not to mention saving that precious wall and floor space.

DT

Here's a link to show Don's setup. Would this work for you Nancy?

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4947

It would be great to ahve the cyclone in an attic, but we don't have the overhead space for it. The cyclone is going back into the same space as the prior one - an 8x8' lean-to that had been tacked onto the building prior to our purchase. It houses the DC, the huge air compressor, and some storage shelving.

Don, Where did you put your chip bucket? In looking at the pictures of your setup, I'm seeing a huge tube coming down from the ceiling in the corner. Is that it?

Nancy

Mike, we got the mounting bracket that will hang the unit on the wall. The fun part is getting the unit up onto the mounting bracket with the motor on the top!! I think it's going to take 3 or 4 burly men - I'm sure not going to try it, not after the "fun" we had getting Rick Levine's DC set up in his shop last year!!

I mounted the bracket, carried the motor/fan part up steps and bolted it in place, lifted the next bit up and bolted it under the first part, etc. I did a little photo-story on my site at Tim's Cyclone install

It would be great to ahve the cyclone in an attic, but we don't have the overhead space for it. The cyclone is going back into the same space as the prior one - an 8x8' lean-to that had been tacked onto the building prior to our purchase. It houses the DC, the huge air compressor, and some storage shelving.

Don, Where did you put your chip bucket? In looking at the pictures of your setup, I'm seeing a huge tube coming down from the ceiling in the corner. Is that it?

Nancy

That would be the filters in the corner Nancy.

http://dontee.net/mylittlecastle/Wood_Working_Shop/Pages/Dust_Collection.html#69

Here is the chip bucket, I will probably get a larger one sooner or later.

http://dontee.net/mylittlecastle/Wood_Working_Shop/Pages/Dust_Collection.html#50

http://dontee.net/mylittlecastle/Wood_Working_Shop/Pages/Setting_Up.html#103

DT