Dirty Jobs w/Mike Rowe... Should be CRAZY Jobs this week!

John Pollman

Howdy all,

I don't know if any of you out there watch "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe but I watch it all the time. I love that show. But the first half of tonights episode wasn't so much dirty as it was CRAZY! He was working at a place where they take Cedar logs and turn them into shakes and shingles. I've gotta tell ya that after the airing of that episode, I think the proprietors of that place should be expecting a visit from OSHA! I don't think I've ever seen so many unprotected saw blades and chopping/shear type devices in one place operating out in the open! It gave me the willies. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it because I was working on the computer but I'll catch it again when it re-airs. It started with the HUGE chain saw that they use to cut the logs to length, then a big splitter to make the blanks. Then a machine with two HUGE circular saw blades where they cut the shingles. Then they go to the area where they make the shakes. This involves chopping the blanks into smaller pieces to get them ready for the 42" band saw where they actually cut the shakes. You could tell that Mike was terrified the entire time he was there. I've got to see this episode again and pay closer attention but it was one of the scariest jobs I could imagine. I'm surprised that any of the workers there had any extremities left! :)

That episode is going to give me nightmares.

Take care

John

I watched it too. Was in fear of Mike's life. The buoy cleaning was enjoyable as well. Not sure I saw any Ford's in this one, maybe it was towards the end during the plea for new jobs.

I love that show.

Having spent an afternoon scraping barnacles I know just how bad they stink. I cannot imagine what shooting the tube inside that buoy was like.

As far as the episode on cutting shingles and shakes, I cannot imagine that I would ever have the courage to do it. The first time I saw that job on TV was on New Yankee or This Old House when Norm visited a mill in Maine or Canada where they used similar wicked machinery to make shingles. I don't know what is worse taking the shingles off of that huge saw to your left or trimming them on the saw in front. I have shudders thinking about it.

The young man who said he has been working in the mill since his dad put him to work there when he was a little over 1 year old caught my attention. Obviously he has been careful for a long time....

Mike put it best when he asked, "Are there any machines in here that cannot kill you in a few seconds?"

Last edited:
WHEW!!!! Gotta agree with ya'll. I don't think I want to get within a couple of miles of that shingle place, even by accident.

Watching that was worse than watching a horror movie, :eek: although I couldn't stop watching.

Karl

Saw it too, where is OHSA?

Mike one of these days is going too lose one of his fingers or more...........................
:bonkers::bonkers::bonkers: