Must be living right.........

Hey stu,
Thanks for the tour. I cant imagine being around all that concrete. It looks like chaos. I guess it grows on you. It shows how lucky you are to find a wood source. Thanks agian.

An update.... :wave:

I got this load down into the Dungeon last night.........

night_haul1.JPG night_haul2.JPG

Not bad for a first haul.

I went back today, to get some more.........

day_haul.JPG
..... so I should have some of this for a while :thumb:

I got there just before 3 PM, their "Coffee" time, and I brought along enough hot canned coffee for everyone, I sat and chatted with them, then loaded up my truck, next I went and helped out carrying the cut stuff down to the truck. While doing so, I was talking to the boss of the tree removal company, I asked him if they do this a lot, that is remove whole trees......

He said that they do, as well as just pruning etc. Next I asked him if they take down any larger trees, stuff like 12" plus in diameter, he said, "Yeah sure, not all the time, but they do get jobs like that .......... :D

I asked him what they do with the wood.....:dunno:

yep, you guessed it, they just PAY to throw it in the landfill...:doh:I also found out that they pay by weight, so the large trunks of the large trees cost him a LOT more to dump, than a whole truck load of sticks and twigs........ I asked him if I could get the wood....... :rolleyes:

He said "Yeah sure, that would be great! :thumb:

Turns out, his office is about a 10 minute walk from my shop. He does most of his work in and around the area, which is good, as I would not want to drive long distances to get the wood.

I gave him my card, he gave me his, and he said he would call me.

The larger tree did not come down today, the Keyaki, they have to do something else early next week and won't get back until the 8th, but again, he said he would call me when they have some more wood for me......... :headbang:

........now......... where am I going to put it all..... :huh: :dunno: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'll come up with something! :wave:

Hey Alex need some wood? :D

Today, I started to process some of the wood.

I found some amazing curl in almost all of the trunk of the tree, and in the crotches, wow, some nice flame too! :thumb:

curl.JPG
I think you can see the curl in this stuff.....

flaming_crotch.JPG
Look at that flame! :D

Should be fun to see what the rest of the logs have hiding :wave:

I'm getting more and more done, in processing all this wood, I'm maybe about halfway through it all, or there abouts.

I've cut up the larger stuff in half, and the smaller stuff, I've left round, as it will be weed-pot or mushroom stock......

one_quarter_done.JPG
I paint the ends etc with a diluted mix of water and regular PVA glue, about 1/3 water and 2/3 glue, does not work as well as Anchor Seal, I'm sure, but seems to work better than latex paint. I usually put about 3 coats on, as the first coat or two suck right into the end grain.

I've got some more to do..........

yet_to_go.JPG
......but I am winning.

Cheers!

It's a good thing you cleaned and rearranged...you wouldn't have room for all that wood otherwise. Looks like you'll be busy for awhile.

No kidding, as it is the "Lazy-Susan" area it being used for storage :doh: :dunno:

I hope to get it all cut up and tidied up by tomorrow, but turning it all, yeah, that would take some time, so the next meeting my turners club has, I'm going give some away! :wave:

I got the last bit all chopped up and sealed, still drying, but it is all done.

Not too big a mess, maybe 4 bags of garbage, but I got a lot of stock out of it. A lot of it is smaller stuff, but maybe that is not a bad thing, working on the smaller stuff should be a bit quicker, and small bowls and such seem popular too :dunno:

last_batch_processed.JPG
There are the last bits all cut up and sealed, just drying on my worktable.

stacked.JPG
Here is the first bunch all sealed up and stacked against the wall, should take me a while to turn all of this :D

Cheers!

Thanks for the thread Stu,
I have not worked with these type chunks and I was wondering how to cut them,also wondering about dry time. I noticed you painted the ends on some, is this to slow dry time?:dunno: I just started turning and dont know what wood (or trees) I can use.:dunno: So far I have only used basic lumberyard material. Learning a lot Thanks for your help.:thumb::thumb:

You are welcome Brad, glad it is of help.

I got all the rest of the wood done and stacked...........

all_processed.JPG
Might keep me busy for a while :rolleyes: :D

I know that some of it will not yield much, but there are some good chunks in there, sure a lot of smaller bowls etc, but I figure they will be well liked.

Cheers!

The second part of my wood haul came in today, the arborist called me and said the wood was waiting! :thumb:

keyaki_haul1.JPG keyaki_haul2.JPG keyaki_haul3.JPG

That is the logs, boy are they heavy, I'll be sore in the morning for sure!

I just had to cut one up, so I picked one with a nice crotch in it............

keyaki_haul4.JPG keyaki_haul5.JPG keyaki_haul6.JPG

Should make some nice platters etc, I hope.

Boy this stuff is hard, darn hard, rock hard, love the wood, hate turning it, as it is so hard, the chainsaw just about bounces off of it, and the chainsaw is sharp! :doh:

I'm going to have to give some of this stuff away, the guy told me he has an even larger tree coming next week............

I might have to cry "UNCLE" :eek:

Cheers!

Stu, if you haven't lost my address I could probably let you send some of it to me. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
What are friends for?!?! :D:dunno::huh::

Hey Gord, you want some and are willing to pay the shipping, I'll gladly send you some! :wave:

Today, I got a phone call, the other tree came down, this one even bigger :thumb:............................:eek: :doh:

All the dreaded but loved Keyaki, this tree was standing dead, the wood is not rotted, but was starting to go that way.......

big_wood1.jpg

I'm seriously flush with wood now :D

Going to have to get some of my Japanese buddies to come and take some of this off my hands. A number of these pieces are HUGE way bigger than I can turn on the DVR, without going into the outboard mode.

Dunno where I am going to put this stuff..... :huh:

I'll have to find some space! :rolleyes: