My Take on Wood Hinges

Thanks Alex! I really appreciate the effort to make this post. I tried doing a tutorial a couple of times, it was a pain for me to remember to stop and shoot pictures, not to mention all the typing. Great tutorial, I think you covered all the bases. Have you ever considered submitting stuff for articles in WW mags? I've heard memtion of several people doing this while lurking various WW forums, dont have any personal knowledge though. Anywho, BRAVO! Barry

Everyone mentions how much work it would be. Well it would not be worth it for just ONE. Sooooo make 10 or 20 at one sitting and store ready for that next box etc. Good tutorial.:thumb::thumb:

Hi Alex, I know that you said the blanks are 75 mm. Is that the finishe product or the lenght of the blanks you are working with? The ones in the tutorial look to be a bit bigger? I am going to be building the jigs that you have made as I really want to make some of those hinges. They look really good and quite simple to make. I remember making boxes like those back in High school but we used the table saw. I was curious if maybe a round over router bit might work with the hinges too? Have you tried that out? How did it work if you did? Is there any particular wood that you would stay away from with those hinges? Maybe something you have found out that caused some binding problems?

Hi Alex, I know that you said the blanks are 75 mm. Is that the finishe product or the lenght of the blanks you are working with? The ones in the tutorial look to be a bit bigger? I am going to be building the jigs that you have made as I really want to make some of those hinges. They look really good and quite simple to make. I remember making boxes like those back in High school but we used the table saw. I was curious if maybe a round over router bit might work with the hinges too? Have you tried that out? How did it work if you did? Is there any particular wood that you would stay away from with those hinges? Maybe something you have found out that caused some binding problems?

Andrew that length is the blank length. The finished hinges were cut to 20mm length. Also a roundover bit would be alright but you would have to use a backing board to prevent chipping. For something that thin a simple backing board would not be adequate though. You would have to esentially make a small parts sled with the place you put the blank the same depth and width and then flip the sled over so your blank is underneath and your sled is now being used as a kind of push block.

For wood I think hard, closed grain wood is best. Anything with a tight grain and density over .75 would probably be good. anything with a density over .90 is preferred.

Last edited: