Different Take on Toothpick Holder and a Bowl

Cody Colston

I made three more of those toothpick holders today varying each one a bit but staying somewhat close to the WOOD design. Then I tried thinking out of the box, er toothpick holder, and came up with the Shroom version. It's Hickory with CA on the bark edges, Mylands and wax on the rest. LOML claimed this one before I even finished with it.

The bowl is Red Elm crotch that I roughed out three weeks ago and DNA soaked. It opened up along the bark inclusion so I again tried something new (for me). I inlaid a Walnut butterfly patch. It actually helped hold the side together but was a bugger to chisel out the recess since I had already finish turned the bowl. It was very springy and I couldn't chop with my chisels...I had to pare it and Elm is pretty tough stuff. :(

Attachments

• Shroom1.jpg
    Shroom1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Shroom2.jpg
    Shroom2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Shroom3.jpg
    Shroom3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 27
  • BFBowl.jpg
    BFBowl.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 51
  • BFBowl3.jpg
    BFBowl3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 27
  • BFBowl2.jpg
    BFBowl2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 28
Those are both too cool, Cody. Great job. I'd hate to have to pick a favorite, since both of them are great.

Wow Cody, I like the shroom and the bow tie. I also like it when my LOML claims a project as she's the one whom I try the most to impress.

Now that is what I call "thinking outside of the box". That is one great toothpick holder Cody.

Would you mind if I "borrow" your idea. I have turned a lot of shrooms but never seen anything like that.

Again, great holder and bowl also.

Bobby
Louisiana

Great concept on the mushroom toothpick holder! Have to admit that your bowl is the first I've ever seen use a butterfly patch! Butterflys aren't just for flatwork anymore! I love it! Nice work Cody!