another birdhouse

Curt Fuller

I think this is the most time I've ever taken to make something on my lathe. And probably the last time I'll do it. This is a segmented maple with walnut trimmings birdhouse. It's 16" tall by 7.5" diameter. The story behind the chimney sticking out of the roof is that I let one of the rings slip when I was glueing them together. So when I started turning the shape of the birdhouse I got too thin and a little hole came through. So it was either go back and make some more rings, throw the danged thing in the garbage, or try to come up with a way to fix it. That was my fix. The finish is spar urethane. I gotta say my hat goes of to the segmenters that make all those fancy designs. I pulled my hair out just making plain rings.

Maplesegmentedbirdhouse.jpg

Curt,

That is so cool! That thing is hyper cool!. Dang, that's slick.

Come on, you can tell us... how long did it actually take?

Did I say it was way cool? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Very cool, Curt. I really like the addition of the chimney. For the next one, you could use a dark roof on a light house, so the segments would look like shingles. :D

I can never get over the sizes of some of your birdhouses! Everything is in such great proportion that I first think they are tree ornaments! Very nice work as always - love the colors!