Heart box

Here's a box I made for a customer. She wanted a small keepsake box to give as a gift, but didn't want to pay too much. She also said she wanted it "fancifull". A heart was the simplest shape I could think of that was not round or square, that I could make within her budget. But now that I made one, ofcourse I have to make another one for LOML for V-day. I made this from a single block of ash. Dyed red, then walnut stain, then a couple coats of wipe-on poly. It's about 9"x9"x 2.5". The inside is that suede-tex stuff that rockler sells that I had left over from another project. Maybe this will inspire you romantic types;).Cheers, Barry

Attachments

• heart.jpg
    heart.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 82
  • heart2.jpg
    heart2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 94
I can't believe no one has posted about this box as of yet. Beautiful work. Did you cut off the lid with a bandsaw? Then what, router to hollow out?

I never say this post before... Loverly Box it is indeed :thumb:

If it is romance you have in mind, fill it with Chocolates as well. Few would expect a prize inside such a nice box. I too wonder is it Bandsawn? I have a few days left till the 14th.... You might just have saved my bacon as I was w/o ideas (fridge still has 2 unopened boxes of Chocolates from the two previous Valentines Days)

Or I might buy her a can of gas as a jesture, at todays prices I may have to hock her ring to fill my tank.

Thanks for the post, and forthcoming more info on the little box would be nice. Size, etc. Method of cutting, etc.

Thanks all,
As far as making the box, I cut the shape out of a 12/4 blank and sanded it smooth on the sides. Then I used a table edge bit on the top that makes a nicer contour than a regular roundover IMHO. Then I sliced off the top on the bandsaw about 3/8 thick, then sliced about 1/4 off the other side for the bottom. Then, with the remaining piece I cut the side curves also about about 1/4 thick. I cut them off in 2 pieces (each side) sanded the inside nice and smooth then glued the sides back together to form the heart shape, I then sanded the saw marks out of the bottom and glued it to the sides, matching up the grain, then sanded the sides flush when it dried. . For the top, it ends up being slightly bigger that the rest because cutting the two sides in half then gluing back together slightly reduces it in size. This was OK though, since is good to have a lip for the lift-off top. I took another slice of wood (not from the blank, just some scrap laying around) about 3/16 thich, cut it to match the inside or mouth of the box, then glued it to the bottom of the lid. Sand and finish, thats about it. It didn't take muck longer to make than me typing this (ugh, fat fingers here).
Cheers, Barry

Very interesting and well done. I had pondered making a heart shaped box for my wife a few years back and never got past the "how ??" Now I know. Thanks so much for posting.

I can't believe no one has posted about this box as of yet. Beautiful work. Did you cut off the lid with a bandsaw? Then what, router to hollow out?

I think one of the reasons we miss so much stuff on here is because of the way the main forum lists the latest post. For instance I have noticed the last few days that "Shop Attire" and "How Organized are you" questions have been on the latest post side off the screen. Since I've answered these questions, to me it looks like there has been little or no activity on these boards, so I move on.

Poor Barry posted this in between other peoples posts on subjects many of us have answered, so that is why I missed his post. What I need to do is start clicking on the sub-forums and making sure people like Barry have not posted something in between. It's just laziness on my part. Skimming the board I call it, but its not right, so I apologize Barry for missing your great project.

I also missed this the first time around. Very nice box Barry, and thanks for the insight on how you made it. :thumb: