So this is where everyone went!

I had been wondering where some of the familiar names had gone over at SMC. It appears that I have now found them. I have been a long time member over there, but I don't read all the posts (not even close to all!) But it looks like there was some kind of coup attempt or some kind of difference of opinion over there and this site was the result. I have this reputation at work of always being the last person to find out stuff, and it looks like that reputation has followed me here as well. I just go about my business not really being aware of the stuff going on around me.
I have been trying to find a thread or announcement of some kind that explains what happened but so far I haven't run across it. Can someone either point me to the thread that explains all this, or if one doesn't exist, create it, because I would really like to know what happened.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,

Welcome to our little home in cyber-space.

This forum was created by a dozen or so of us, when we had our fill of the nonsense going on at SMC. Each of us has hot buttons that were pressed (over and over), and each of us had our own individual reasons that caused the final move.

I won't go into details, since one of the things we decided when we created this forum was that it's NOT a place to bash other forums, or the members or staff of other forums.

That was then, this is now! I hope you enjoy your time here. We're hoping to learn from the mistakes of the past, and create a place where all are welcome and treated fairly, and consistantly.

Thanks...
- Marty -

Thanks Steve!
I am so sorry to hear about your shop!
Did that drill press you bought in Springdale make it through the disaster?

Thats the same one that's doing a bang up job supporting that broken truss:eek:
I have another one almost identical to it I can use.
I used the one from Springdale to drill my euro hinges for doors.
Just a few months ago, I bought a Red Baron hinge drill machine, which thankfully came out OK.
I later on, with some straighting of the motor bracket and cover, I think it will run again.:)

Hi Larry

And I though I was always the last to find out.:D

I just made it here a few days ago myself. Glad you made it as well. Good to have you here.
John Whittaker

but I don't read all the posts (not even close to all!) But it looks like there was some kind of coup attempt or some kind of difference of opinion over there and this site was the result.
The admins and moderators on SMC won't let folks talk about differences, or question their decisions. Because of that nobody can talk about anything. Some people were ban'd and it was a sad decision on their part, since they did ban perfectly fine members in good status, many of whom have contributed to their efforts (I wasn't one and wasn't a contributer, nor will I ever be).

I left on my own in hopes that FWW would be a place that would respect the users and allow them to offer an opinion. So far, unlike SMC, this seems to be true.

Welcome!

Welcome aboard Larry. Glad to see you here. :wave:

To add a bit more to the multi-part story that's being presented here, Marty hit the nail on the head when he said the original dozen or so of us had about twelve different reasons for starting a new forum, but one common goal we all have for this place is for it to be run by the members instead of by a select few. We intend for the members to elect Moderators and Admins on a periodic rotating basis (so nobody gets burned out), make key decisions by member polls, and pay for the software and web space by member donations. We also have moderation rules in place that should prevent threads and posts from disappearing mysteriously without explanation. We want it to be a sane and civil place where people can still have an opinion about something without being ostracized.

We're definitely just starting out, and figuring things out as we go. So far it's working quite nicely, and time will tell if we're onto something good. I sure think we are. ;)

One other point I want to add, the books here will always be completely open.

At some point, some money will be needed, and at that point we will show exactly how and where the money that is raised is spent, I think this is very important to a site for retaining it's integrity.

Cheers!

Welcome Larry, glad you made it over here. Being one of the originals, the information given above is accurate along with some personal issues that each of us had. I hope you enjoy this site and that we all can get from it what we look for and that is camaraderie and information.

This is just right.

One other point I want to add, the books here will always be completely open.

At some point, some money will be needed, and at that point we will show exactly how and where the money that is raised is spent, I think this is very important to a site for retaining it's integrity.

Hello Larry and welcome.

Hello Stu (coming to you from yesterday) - When you get to the point that contributions are needed I will certainly stand up to be counted. You guys are doing one heck of a job.

WW forums are a new thing to me, though I have visited many over the past few years, I never really contributed - up until the past 6 months or so. I was active over at FWW and even 'purchased' the web site membership. I still visit the site for info, but I stay away from the forums. To me they are 'under-moderated' and threads often and quickly degener......... well.... I don't want to be seen as a forum basher so I'll stop here.:(

I "found" SMC about a month before the thread noted in Tod's post. I liked the friendly and supportive atmosphere and became a contributor and supporter very quickly. Then.......well, you can read the thread that Tod mentions above.:dunno:

It was then my good fortune to have been invited here by another SMC member (Thanks Mark, I won't tell anybody it was you:peek: ). Sorry if I sound like Goldilocks, but it seems I went from too hot, to too cold, and landed here where things are 'just right'.:D

Larry, and all the other new members (too many to keep track of! Wow!) I'm glad you landed here also. Welcome, come on in, it's just right.

Wow...like Larry, I was really disappointed to see many of the members I came to respect, and their posts I looked forward to reading, had mysteriously disappeared from SMC. I feel reborn to have discovered their where-abouts.

I read with sadness today of Steve's shop disaster, but at the risk of sounding selfish, I have found this forum because of the good people cross-referencing Steve's unfortunate news between here and SMC.

I read the "rules and regulations" when registering with Family Woodworking and was very impressed. My thanks to all of you who have brain-stormed and created this new forum. I'm sure it will flourish to great heights!

I will continue to visit both forums with a great sense of community I have come to enjoy.

Thanks again!
Matt