Mini Lathes

You'll get recommendations for every make under the sun. Just choose one that you think will suit you best. Or from a supplier that will work the best with you.

You'll get recommendations for every make under the sun. Just choose one that you think will suit you best. Or from a supplier that will work the best with you.

Doug, that is the best recomendation for a lathe I've ever seen. No bias, full of "stay away from this, you must have this, etc. :thumb:

Drew, if you have a turning group close by, ask to stop in or join and you should get a few invites to try a couple different lathes out.

I got the Rikon for it's 12" swing and being a midi. I have not had any problems and run it hard. I would look at the Jet mini, Jet 1220, Delta midi or the Rikon midi if you are wanting to stay small. Can't tell you about the others but all are good starter lathes.

I have the Jet Mini VS. I just got it for Christmas so I don't have a lot of hours logged on it yet. So far I have been pleased with it, and have no complaints.

When it comes to mini lathes this model and the non-VS are highly recommended amongst turners everywhere, as being much more versatile than they appear.

It has a 10 in swing and is 14 in between centers. As an accessory for around $55-$70 Jet sells a cast iron bed extension that will give you much added capacity between centers, for long spindles.

The only thing I will say is check out customer service. Some brands are severely lacking. I have a Jet and a Delta. I prefer where the on/off switch is located on the Delta but other than that they are both equal. Take a class if you can or go to a turning club and see if you can try out different ones. Rikon has a larger capacity that the others. If you don't mind parting with bundles of money look at the General with the digital variable speed. My two cents worth.
Dale

Thanks guys for all the input. I am just starting to look and figured I would ask here as there is quite a bit more rounded experience here and I do value all your opinions and experience. I have been trying to get in contact with the club here but have not heard back from them yet.

I have the General International VS Maxi-Lathe and am very happy with it.:thumb:
It's not near the lathe some guys are using but for a beginner like me it's just great; no complaints and I'm having a lot of fun learning on it.:D:wave:

Get hold of some turning club people, try out a few lathes, maybe even find a lathe that someone has for sale, as they have upgraded?

Gari Baiasillo recently upgraded to a Nova DVR, I don't know if he still has his Old Delta lathe??

Maybe PM him?

I'd look hard at the Rikon 12" seems like a decent lathe.

As you are in Canada, I'd NOT get a Grizzly, because if you have a problem, well, across the border customer service may not be the easiest thing, but I certainly could be wrong about that. :dunno:

All good suggestions so far, Drew. I'll add my experience with my mini lathe...the Wilton. It's the least expensive one I've seen, and after having owned one, I'd suggest getting something else if you can afford it. It's a pretty good little lathe capable of turning pens and bottle stoppers, but it's limited in what you can do, and it's a pretty sure bet you'd be upgrading soon after buying one. (I know I did.) I prefer to turn on my big lathe, but I feel I got my $100 worth out of it, since A) it got me hooked on turning, and B) it's very handy as a variable speed buffer for smaller pieces.

I have a Steel City VS midi and I love it--although I haven't been able to do a lot of turning since I got it. It has a 10" swing, 15" between centers. The tail stock and banjo move very easily and the controls are in the right place. And if you order before the end of March, you'll get a free set of mini turning tools with it.

Nancy

I've got an FE Reed model from the 1890's, which i like quite a bit. Not that you'd get one of those, but my point is, don't be afraid to look for good used equipment. There are a few advantages:
1) spend less OR
2) get a higher quality machine for the same money
3) you'll likely get some of the accessories thrown in with the deal - more money saved
4) buying used lets you minimize your up-front investment while you learn the hobby and figure out what types of projects you really enjoy and what you really want in a lathe. Then, when you know exactly what you need/want, you can sell your lathe for essentially what you paid for it and put the money into your ideal machine.
5) if it becomes a dust collector taking up space, you can get back out of it essentially what you put into it.
My shop is full of used equipment - some of it predates the first world war. Most is from the 1930's and 40's. My jointer/planer combo dates from the early 1980's. The only "new" machine in the shop is a table saw that's about 4 years old. It's a good way to assemble quality equipment on a budget, though with the really old stuff, you may have to be willing to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty - some of my machines were pretty long in the tooth when i dragged them home. After an innitial effort, though, they all work just fine.
my 3 cents worth.
Paul Hubbman

Paul brings up a good point about buying used equipment. When I outgrew my little Wilton mini lathe, I bought a used 15" swing Craftsman from a local turner. It was not the be-all end-all lathe, but it was plenty workable and a big step up from the Wilton, for about the same price as a Jet mini. A year and a half later, when I upgraded to the PM (closer to the be-all end-all), I sold the Craftsman for essentially what I'd paid for it. I'd say both of the Craftsman transactions were good deals for all parties involved.

Good question. I jumped in head first and bought a Craftsman thinking I was buying a good sized lathe for good money from a reputable company. When it had to go in to be worked on, I had some pen orders so bought a JET mini and now except for table legs, spindles and baseball bats, the JET does all of my turning. Liked it so well have bought 8 of them for my woods class in school. Students find them easy to use, and they have held up well. These are the only two lathes I have used, and for my money, well spent buying a JET mini. None of mine are the VS except for the Craftsman.

I have a Steel City VS midi and I love it--although I haven't been able to do a lot of turning since I got it. It has a 10" swing, 15" between centers. The tail stock and banjo move very easily and the controls are in the right place. And if you order before the end of March, you'll get a free set of mini turning tools with it.

Nancy

What do mean you can't do much turning, your retired. All the time in the world!:rofl::rofl:

Garry

What do mean you can't do much turning, your retired. All the time in the world!:rofl::rofl:

Garry

Garry, I wish I had "all the time in the world." I'm starting to believe all those who told me that I'd be busier in retirement than I was before!!:huh: Between those "chores" that I've had on my list for years, the laser business, and my on-call legal work, I've hardly had a day to call my own since the end of December. But now that I've gotten most of the household chores done that I've been putting off for years, I'm going to have some time for turning and experimenting.:D

Nancy

Garry, I wish I had "all the time in the world." I'm starting to believe all those who told me that I'd be busier in retirement than I was before!!:huh: Between those "chores" that I've had on my list for years, the laser business, and my on-call legal work, I've hardly had a day to call my own since the end of December. But now that I've gotten most of the household chores done that I've been putting off for years, I'm going to have some time for turning and experimenting.:D

Nancy

Nancy I made some fun at you about that also. I have friend who retired this last year in July. After talking with him the last few months I am almost scared to retire which will be about a year or so. He said there is not enough time in the day to take care of everything. He told me he thinks he will go back to work so he has some time to himself.:D:thumb: One thing he also told me under no circumstances volunteer for anything. Once they find out you will be inundated with volunteer requests. He said everyone will be calling you.