24 Inch Drum Sander is Taking up too much room!

Ben Roman

Hello All,

Been gone for a long while and have not been doing any woodworking at all. I am starting to get back in the garage and clean the tools and organizing. I have a 24 inch drum sander Grizzly 1066R. I bought it with the hopes that i would build a shop in the near future.. Well it looks like its going to be a while before I get to do that. My question is this: I think I have used the drum sander maybe a total of 20 times in the last 3 years and it is so huge. Would I be better off getting a Smaller Drum Sander (Open End) selling the Behemoth and gaining more floor space in the 3 car garage of which I occupy two thirds of?

Suggestion Needed.

Ben

Boy, I'd be real shy of getting rid of that capacity.

How about a good mobile base? You could "Park" it out of the way, until you need it?

Good luck!:wave:

My dad always said, "with dogs, horses, trucks, and wives, NEVER trade down!!" :rolleyes: :rofl: Always have followed that philosophy. My horse is old, my dog has died, and on the original wife. I'd keep it (actually I would keep it for you!!!!! :D).

Gotta agree

My dad always said, "with dogs, horses, trucks, and wives, NEVER trade down!!" :rolleyes: :rofl: Always have followed that philosophy. My horse is old, my dog has died, and on the original wife. I'd keep it (actually I would keep it for you!!!!! :D).

both stu and jon are right in my minds eye, nevr give up on your dreams they sometimes come true. oh and jon seeun as how your on now i have tried to figur out your avatar and just cant come up with what your doing. in my old eyes it looks like you hanginon to a one of the monkey's from a hurdy gurdy man from yesteryear:huh::D so help me out ther jon...:dunno:

Well Larry, if you would ever venture South a couple of hours, you would find we raise Jack Russells and Rat Terriers. That is our male dog and one of my daughters had a John Deere Hat for their dog, I stuck it on him and was holding him so he wouldn't rip the hat trying to get it off of his head. Used to have a sig line that said something like, "behave or I'll sic my dog on you" but it has disappeared so thought a mod found it unfamily like.

If they got rid of your signature line Jon, they should have sent you a PM. I think COC rules forbid Mods to just delete things as they see fit. That kind of stuff happens on other sites but not here...the Mods are outstanding in this area.

As for the dogs, I got a Miniature Schnauzer. What a funny dog.The most laid back, quiet dog you will ever meet...until he spies a mouse or snake, then his ears sweep back, his tail goes up and he looks like a pit bull going after a neighbor!! He's snarling, growling and ferocious. Its great because I HATE snakes. There are no poisinois snakes here, the only State in the nation that can claim that, but I still put him on a leash and let him patrol around whenever I must venture into "snake country."

As for the drum sander...get rid of it. If its taking up to much room, and you don't think you'll use it much in the near future, they sell it to some woodworker who will use it. Its foolish to keep something that you don't look fondly at. At the same time a drum sander is a convience item, not an essential tool like a planer, jointer or tablesaw. You can use other means to do the same job and get the same results, it just takes a bit longer. So why not get rid of it and go that route and use something you can toss on a shelf,or put in a drawer.

The battle against clutter starts with hard decisions. If you have not used something in 6 months, its time to get it out of the shop.

Jonathan, Travis is right. Nobody would poof your signature line without asking you to change it first. Must have been some other glitch. You should go ahead and put it back in if you'd like. If it doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll see what might be happening.

And thanks for finally solving the mystery of what you're holding in your avatar picture. I was thinking a very small lamb, or a monkey as Larry suggested. :p

And thanks for finally solving the mystery of what you're holding in your avatar picture. I was thinking a very small lamb, or a monkey as Larry suggested. :p

whew thanks for the back up vaughn i thought i was going blind:rofl: and i dont have as much hair as you do to interfer with my vision:rofl: now talkin is another matter:rofl:

It's a dog, gentlemen. Oh, Larry and Vaughn, the thing Travis is holding is a chainsaw!! :D :thumb: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Ben, my advice is based on having a lot of animals and equipment. As long as the equipment is paid for and under a roof, I generally keep it (unless someone offers a whale of a profit!) Animals that need fed and cleaned up after daily, that is another story, not using them, sell them and let someone else enjoy/use them.

Animals that need fed and cleaned up after daily, that is another story, not using them, sell them and let someone else enjoy/use them.

I agree. For Sale:

32 year old Female Human-Being of Irish/ Mohawk Indian decent
Does some cooking, some cleaning, lots of laundry and does well with kids
7 year 5th grade teacher
Degree in Environmental Science/ Elementary Education/ Marine Biology
Quiet disposition with slight aggravation towards husband on certain days
Very good looking

18 month old daughter not included with this package.

Bidding starts at: .09 cents COD American Currency
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Patty_and_Travis_Irish_Pub3.JPG

om MY word!!!!

that sounds like some of the tactful things i have dun travis your gonna pay for that one dearly it will come back and haunt you for sure!!! but man what a chuckle:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::thumb:

I agree. For Sale:

7 year 5th grade teacher
Very good looking

Yea but does she do windows? what is the shipping on a package like that Travis? lol

Title caught my eye as I am on the look out for a drum sander right now. Just had a look at a 24 inch one last night but the fellow paid 1000 too much and is asking almost what the going rate is for a new machine now. No warranty even though it is lightly used it is still far too much for a used machine.

I agree. For Sale:

7 year 5th grade teacher
Very good looking

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, Wow, Honey since last night I don't need a barber anymore. But I sure could use a taxidermist to put my skin back on.

I will be building a larger shop in the next couple of years so just getting some of the tools that I want now and space in the shop is getting a little tight ( not as tight as Stu's or Alex's shops in Japan ) but I don't have to take tools out to work other tools yet.