Maple Chip & Dip Platter

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Dunno what caused me to leave the bowl in the middle of this maple platter but LOML liked the idea, so it's what I ended up with.

It's 11" across, with a buffed Antique Oil and spray lacquer finish.

Bowl 035 - 01 800.jpg

Pretty chunk o' wood, if I do say so myself.

Bowl 035 - 02 800.jpg

The bowl part is a bit small...

Bowl 035 - 04 800.jpg

But it just so happened that we had a glass bowl that fit the hole perfectly. I couldn't have gotten a better fit if I'd tried.

Bowl 035 - 03 800.jpg

This is another one of the pieces I roughed out on the Sears lathe and finished up on the PM. The vacuum chuck came in real handy on this one.

Comments, suggestions and general rabble-rousing are all accepted.

Like the edge thickness you have on that one Vaughn, thin enough to give a lightweight look to the piece and yet substantial enough to take regular handling, shape shows off the wood figuring to good advantage also.

So Vaughn, you got both lathes operational? Bet you got a bumper sticker on the Sears that says "MY OTHER LATHE IS A PM":D Very nice bowl BTW. That Maple looks darker that most I've seen. I like it! Barry

The piece is a definite beauty. The wood I agree is beautiful. Well done. I made some similar to that except used marble in the middle for a cheese and cracker tray or you could use it for chip and dip.

Dunno what caused me to leave the bowl in the middle of this maple platter [...]it just so happened that we had a glass bowl that fit the hole perfectly. I couldn't have gotten a better fit if I'd tried.

Yeah yeah.... Sounds like a pre-meditated setup if I ever heard one. :huh:

general rabble-rousing [is] accepted.

Which is exactly what this was. :rofl:

=================================

Great job, Vaughn! :thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the comments, guys. The glass bowl really was accidental, but it seems to have worked out in my favor. I like Bernie's idea of a marble insert for cheese and crackers, too.
So Vaughn, you got both lathes operational?...
Nope, I sold the Sears lathe to a guy who is at about the same stage I was a year and a half ago. I was the second owner to outgrow it, and I told the new owner he'd likely outgrow it in a while himself. Until then, it'll make a fine starter lathe for him, with more swing than a mini. I like the bumper sticker idea, though. Maybe I'll make one for my mini that says "When I grow up, I wanna be mustard yellow". :D

Chips 'N Dips......."NOT"!!!!!!

That dish should definitely NOT be used for Chips 'N Dips, because it Should be used for "Caviar 'N Toastees".:thumb::thumb::thumb: (Way too Fancy for ordinary Chips 'N Dips):D

OK, I give up! How'd you hold it on the lathe this time? Cole jaws? Or one of them new fangled longworth chucks?

Looks great!

Thanks,

Bill
For most of it, I used a regular ol' tenon on the bottom held in a Nova chuck. To finish off the bottom I used my vacuum chuck. It really sucks. :D I made a Longworth chuck for my Sears lathe, but it went with the lathe when I sold it. I may be wishing I had kept it some day when I'm trying to finish a piece with worm holes or voids in it. Vacuum chucks are kinda useless on leaky wood. ;)