Why???

Alfredo Alamo

I am wondering why can one not use the motor shaft as spindle for the lathe. Just machine an adaptor to use over for the different accesories. This elimenates the pulleys, belts and the space that they take.

Thank you

Alfredo

My first reaction to this question is why not indeed...but I would think the bearings wouldn't hold up...plus speed control would be voided without pulleys and such, unless it is a varible speed motor. :huh:

yeah thats my thinking... a good ol' catch would just screw it all up, better to have belts that can slip if necessary. just my thinking, I have no proof to back that up.
Ben

Curt....I suspect its bearings are dramatically different too!

If you look at the head stock on a normal lathe....the bearings are greater sized than the bearings on the motor. Different pressures and different bearings.

Last edited:
Yeppers, the DVR is a special motor with a heavy shaft (and bearings) intended for woodturning. I suspect a regular electric motor would not have a shaft or bearings up for the task. Small spindle work (like pens) would probably be fine, but I'd be leery of trying anything very big.