Started 3 more kids rockers in walnut

Bryan Cowing

Spent several hours in the shop today making parts. Back gets sore cranking the handle on the copy lathe ruffing out legs, etc. It was mentioned by another turner to turn the pin on the arm rest on the lathe. Sure beats sanding it round! I also tried making dowels on the copy lathe. 2 passes and the 7/8" dowel is done. Still have lots of work ahead detailing and sanding the ruffed out parts on the lathe.

IMG_4703.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4708.jpg

That Walnut is Fantastic! Can't wait to see the rockers finished. I'll need to be trying to make one in the next couple years for the WORLDS MOST BEAUTIFUL Granddaughter!

OK.................... I AM prejudice! No offence intended to all the other grandparents out there.

Bruce

a few more parts made and did a dry fit to see how it looks. It was suggested that I change the design to make it more appealing in the seat support area so I came up with a dowel / seat support in one. Now I find that the seat slats need to be tapered on each side as the rear is 2.5" smaller than the front.
IMG_4724.JPG

IMG_4726.JPG

Couple of things I'd like to say here......

Bryan, you sir, do nice work :clap:

the second thing is that with the nice work you do, it is still nice to see that your workshop gets into that "Work In MESSY Progress" stage that my workshop gets into :D :thumb:

I've got the making a mess part down pat, now I need two work on putting out the quality product part :eek:

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see these one!v

fridays progress

this afternoon I made up the backrest ( mortise & tenon the slats to the top and bottom backrest ) and once the glue dried, marked the mortise locations on the rear legs to accept the completed backrest. After supper I got back to the shop and I chopped the mortises, and glued up the back of the rocker.
IMG_4728-1.JPG

saturday's work

Finished the glue up. Made up the tapered seat slats and screwed them on from underneath so no holes to plug. Last thing to make are two finials for the back legs. Then sand and finish. I am going to try using min wax's natural stain , then sanding sealer and a couple of coats of gloss lacquer.IMG_4740.jpg

Bryan, the chair looks great! It has a really nice aesthetic to it - very inviting. I think any child would easily gravitate to it and claim it as theirs!

Wes

Sundays work on chair #1

Today I hand turned a finial . I then mounted the Vega copier on the lathe and made a 1/2 dozen quick copies. The finial being 4" long, only took a few minutes to produce one. Finished the day off by wiping a coat of oil on the rocker and removing any glue smears I missed. Tomorrow I will start spraying sanding sealer. The oil brought out the chocolate color, but is fading somewhat as it dries. IMG_4743-2.JPG