Need help with dust filtration mask?

Bill Sampson

I have a dust collection system in my shop as well as a filtration system. Neither, however removes the fine dust quickly enough to keep from breathing small micron dust. Fine dust has a severe drying affect on the membrane in my nose. This week, after spending two days in the hospital for nose hemorrhaging, two units of blood transfused, and other treatments, I have come to the conclusion that a power mask is necessary. I also know that coumadin and hemorrhaging are a scary pair.
I have looked at several types of masks on the net, but would like to hear from those of you that regularly use one and would share the benefits of the one you use. My shop time is strictly hobby, building 18th. century furniture, and some limited turning. All shop time has been stopped until a solution is found.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Bill Sampson

I have one from the borg. It has replaceable filters and differents filters for different task. Not sure off hand the brand name but will look when I go back down stairs. When wearing it I can not taste or smell the sawdust. Is has keep me from swelling when using apple or walnut, which usally cause major sinus problems with me.

Bill, I use the trend airshield. Works well, fits comfortably -- I forget it's there. The airshield pro is coming out soon.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/trend-airshield-trend-air-shield.html
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/trend-airshield-pro.html

In your case you may want to consider the 3M product. My buddy who suffers with asthma has one -- he is in a confined space and needs the extra protection. Only downside -- it is very pricey.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com...red-Air-Purifying-Respirator-PAPR-System.html

Good luck with whatever you decide -- keep safe. Tony

I have the Trend Airshield, and I also have a dual cartridge (non-powered) AO Safety respirator. The Trend is great for turning or other relatively stationary tasks, but if I'm doing anything somewhat strenuous (or where I'll be bending and moving a lot), I prefer using the respirator instead of the Trend. It has a better seal on my face, and stays in place no matter how I move.

Bill, I use the Triton and LOVE it. It's a bit expensive, but it kills three bords with one throw so it's well worth it IMO. Rockler, Woodcraft and CSUSA all carry it for $199.99. Every now and then you'll find it on sale at Amazon, but they're currently listing it at $269.

A review for it can be seen here.

i use the triton also and it works well. my only complaint is that i don't need a hardhat in the shop and i keep hitting it on things i store overhead. you need a backup battery pack if you're going to be in the shop all day turning but it's easy to change. i'm finding all the products from triton are well designed if you don't mind buying non-u.s. products.

Thanks so much for your responses to my question.
I contacted the owner of the local WoodCraft store with your responses and he agreed to order three that you recommended and let me try each one and take my pick of the one that best met my needs. I certainly can't asked for more than this. As soon as the medical situation is cleared, I can get back into the shop.
Thanks again for your help.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

I use the 3M N95s for general stuff, but if I'm really kicking it up or at the lathe, the 3M Airstream is it. I got it at Airware America. I tried the Triton at a friends (so/so, but bulky), bought the Trend Airshield and had it for three days and returned it. Nothing extremely tangible there, but the fit and finish, a piece of plastic broke, ergonomics, just didn't meet my level of satisfaction. I bit the bullet and got the pricier 3M system, based on another friends recomendation. It is just a great system, light, works well, runs forever on a charge, and sometimes I just forget I'm wearing it, if you can believe that.:thumb:

Another reason I like the 3M is that it fits my size 8 head. I was happy for the hard hat the night I headed a chunk of walnut to the other side of the garage. The Airstream is basicly the same as the Breatheasy except for the filter system. The Breateasy has the airpump sitting at your lower back. Word of caution, it will not filter out byproducts of refried beans. Pumps the fumes right up in the helmet. DAMHIKT. Bottom line is how much are your lungs worth and how much do you enjoy the woodworking?