kinda in doghouse

I too would suggest flowers. I hate the things, unless they're growing. But I used to get them delivered to Jean at work (that's the best case, but home works well too). My take was always that they aren't useful, and they die after a few days. But after years of effort, she finally got me trained to overlook these practical considerations. I'll have to remember to buy some on the way home next week, no delivery out where we live now :D She did buy me tires for my birthday once. I thought it was great :huh:

In case you're wondering, there are roughly 450 bills in a pound IIRC. Someone once asked me to figure it out- each bill weighs a gram.

If the lady is looking for a cruise, go for the cruise. Flowers are fine for an ordinary event, but a milestone birthday is special. It doesn't have to be a full blown around the world thing. Find one that you can afford.

What can you afford? Well, if mama ain't happy, nobody happy. So, what is it that you can't afford again? :huh: ;) :thumb:

If the lady is looking for a cruise, go for the cruise. Flowers are fine for an ordinary event, but a milestone birthday is special. It doesn't have to be a full blown around the world thing. Find one that you can afford.

What can you afford? Well, if mama ain't happy, nobody happy. So, what is it that you can't afford again? :huh: ;) :thumb:
Listen up Frank!!!!Ditto!!!!!!!!:D

Mine has me trained to not buy her anything without her prior approval. This is especially true for clothing and jewelry. She has to pick it out, then she'll let me buy it. There's about an 85% possibility that what I pick out on my own will sit unused. :rolleyes:

Frank, I wish I had some decent advice for you. Sounds like a cruise may have to happen, even if it's delayed for budgetary reasons. Here's hoping both books sell. :thumb:

Mine has me trained to not buy her anything without her prior approval. This is especially true for clothing and jewelry. She has to pick it out, then she'll let me buy it. There's about an 85% possibility that what I pick out on my own will sit unused. :rolleyes:

Frank, I wish I had some decent advice for you. Sounds like a cruise may have to happen, even if it's delayed for budgetary reasons. Here's hoping both books sell. :thumb:

I expect a cruise to happen one day. Not this year but sometime. Yep, I'll hafta bite the bullet because a cruise is near the top of the list of things I DON'T want to do. Locked on a boat doesn't provide me the opportunity to take long walks in the woods when I get the urge. ;) But, for the wifey, I'll sacrifice.

They had guns on the cruise ships I have been on.:thumb: For $20 they let you shoot over the side and pretend you are skeet shooting. I haven't found a better vacation for the dollar. Hobbit travel is offering 7 day cruises for $599 including airfare up here. Tempting but not this winter. Good luck on your novels. If you want to pretend you are my son's grandparents I can get you on the Nimitz for 4 days in May. $85 each plus airfare to Washinton and from San Diego to the Ozarks.
Dale

Last edited:
They had guns on the cruise ships I have been on.:thumb: For $20 they let you shoot over the side and pretend you are skeet shooting. I haven't found a better vacation for the dollar. Hobbit travel is offering 7 day cruises for $599 including airfare up here. Tempting but not this winter. Good luck on your novels. If you want to pretend you are my son's grandparents I can get you on the Nimitz for 4 days in May. $85 each plus airfare to Washinton and from San Diego to the Ozarks.
Dale

Hey! That Nimitz ride sounds very interesting. But, on a regular cruise, instead of walks in the woods, I'll hafta compromise and just sit around on a deck lounger and watch young girls in bikinis. It'll be a sacrifice, but I think I can manage. ;)

My folks just got home from a 2 week vacation, one week on one of the Hawaiian Islands, dunno which one off the top of my head, followed by a 5 nigh cruise back to L-A, with flights to/from Dulles on the edges. My father has COPD and confessed to me before they left that he was very worried about being able to handle the trip physically. They made it with flying colors, but I'm sure that they won't be going back again.
I'm happy they went, especially since they likely wont get/take the opportunity again.

Frank, this is not the time to be hasty, that your time and book the criuse. I thought that I would save some money one time and instead of a dozen roses, I got her a rose bush, bad mistake. You can always do what I did and build a real nice doghouse with air and cable. But if you do the math you will find that a cruise will be alot cheaper than a divorce.

Hope you get this one right

Donald Wood

I wasn't serious about the tire thing.
I have two novels with an agent now. Maybe if one gets sold the cruise will happen.

Oh guys, c'mon already! I read through this entire thread and am appalled at your lack of creativity. :eek:

To Frank: 65 is a milestone, so I would certainly hope the tire thing was a joke... otherwise, you and 20 of your closest woodworking pals are sleeping in the garage tonight. :p If you're a writer, WRITE something for her. The best birthday present I ever had was a romantic, just him-and-me dinner, followed by the love of my life, this writer/poet, reciting a poem he'd written for me by candlelight. It brought me to tears. I'm not 65 (well, gettin' there), but I can tell you there's really nothing anyone can buy me that I... a) don't already have, or b) don't need. If you can write, write something that speaks to the time you've spent together and what it means. That will mean the world to her and she'll be thrilled not to have to dust the durned thing every week or so.

Sheesh. Ya hafta tell those menfolk everything! :poke:

Oh guys, c'mon already! I read through this entire thread and am appalled at your lack of creativity. :eek:

To Frank: 65 is a milestone, so I would certainly hope the tire thing was a joke... otherwise, you and 20 of your closest woodworking pals are sleeping in the garage tonight. :p If you're a writer, WRITE something for her. The best birthday present I ever had was a romantic, just him-and-me dinner, followed by the love of my life, this writer/poet, reciting a poem he'd written for me by candlelight. It brought me to tears. I'm not 65 (well, gettin' there), but I can tell you there's really nothing anyone can buy me that I... a) don't already have, or b) don't need. If you can write, write something that speaks to the time you've spent together and what it means. That will mean the world to her and she'll be thrilled not to have to dust the durned thing every week or so.

Sheesh. Ya hafta tell those menfolk everything! :poke:

MJ, you are correct. I have to feel inspired to write. Maybe one day something will hit me. (besides the rolling pin I made her recently) As for poems. I have only written one poem in my life. And, I didn't know it was a poem when I was writing it, just something that was going through my head came out on the monitor. Other writers told me later it is a poem.

Ah... and that's the second best gift: something you made with your hands. Like the rolling pin, but... not as hard on the head or wherever she can reach, heh heh! ;) You could carve a message and date it.

See, here's the thing: whether you make something from wood or write something for her, the best part is she'll know it came from your heart. I'd take that over a cruise anyday. Or with a cruise. Or after a cruise. :D

You know, I really enjoy reading through this forum to see how talented and creative you all are-- great stuff-- and I would feel honored if someone made me a gift like what I've seen here.

Keep up the good work, guys.

Yes MJ the way to a woman's heart is through thoughts and deeds. Building something from the heart always works. :thumb:

The way to a mans heart is, straight through the rib cage with a sharpe knife:eek::eek:

Sorry couldn't resist :rofl::rofl: