What are you turning on?

Sears (Craftsman) 15" x 38" and the little Wilton mini lathe in my shop. Both will be replaced eventually, but for now, they do the job, especially for the prices I paid for them.

My neighbors dog is the only thing I have that spins around in a circle. I threw a piece of wood at him and all he did was eat it.

Some custom homebrew hack lathe made out of some serious angle iron. But, it came with a faceplate and a skew chisel for $15. Given that it spins, don't see any reason to acquire another one...yet. :D

Old J-Line/Brodhead Garret. Three phase withe VFD.

lathe1.jpg

Jet Mini

I just got a Jet Mini today... No turning tools yet as I have to find a decent beginner set, mainly for bowls, and also a sharpening jig. I also have to put a stand together.

I hear the HF beginner $40 set is a good one to start with, not bad tools, and you learn to sharpen on those, instead of wasting away you more expensive tools.

Nice get on the lathe, $209, sounds good to me!

Next is what...........?

Sharpening jig
Slow speed grinder
more turning tools
wheel dresser
white oxide wheel
hollowing tools
hollowing rig
steady
chuck
several different chuck jaw sets
more turning tools
Chainsaw
Chainsaw sharpener
Chaps & Gloves
more turning tools
....... and that is the short list :D

Cheers!

I know...I know... It's wost than my boat!:eek:

I have a few on your list, though...

:D :D

I have seen the HF set, but it looks more for spindle work...No?

yes, I think so, this set..........

47066.gif

$35.99 now, but with that set, and a couple of bowl gouges, you will be good to go.

If you have not done a lot of turning, you really should start with the between centers or spindle work. Get a handle on that first, turn a bonker :D

BTW, your shop manager looks like he (she?) is searching for an escape route away from you with that chainsaw in your mitts :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
PM 3520a that I'm anxious to get back to (doing some garage renovations to make some shop room) before all the wood rots.

Glenn, when did you get the DVR?

Hey Glenn, that handle on the tool rest sure looks familiar :D

Thanks again for that nice present, sure works better than the original one!

Cheers!

3000# Hempel CH-12 semi-auto copy lathe
Old 12x36 craftsman lathe, with extended tube to 48"

Last edited: