Sharpening Question!!!!

Gord Rock

I just got my Vari-Grind jig from Oneway this morning and am very pleased with it.:):thumb:
I've used it on my 3/8" Spindle Gouge and sharpened it at about 30 degrees. Now I'd like to sharpen my 3/8" Bowl Gouge. I have yet to do any serious bowl turning but would like to get it ready. What degree of grind do you bowl turners suggest I sharpen it at? I'm sure it shouldn't be the same as the Spindle Gouge but have no idea what the proper angle should be.:dunno:
Is there a consensus as to the proper angle or does each turner just do what he feels is the right thing for him/her?

Thanks!!

Gord, I don't know what actual angles I use. I just try to match the way it came from the factory, and if I don't like it that way, I'll experiment in both directions. No idea what that the angles would measure. Hopefuly there are others here who can offer more finite advice.

There is no definitely answer to your question.
How many GB you have? What shape of bowl do you use it for (deep or shallow)? Which style you want to turn?

If you follow Stuart Batty style of turning, he suggests 40° nose angle. With that sharp angle, it is less effort to slice through wood. But it limits the depth of the bowl you can hollow and still riding on the bevel. It would require a second BG of blunt angle for the bottom of not so shallow bowl.
His style of grinding doesn't do well with the jig.
YouTube - Tool Design and Grinding with Mike Mahoney

Another is the popular Ellsworth type of grind. It is 60 ~ 65° nose angle. This is a suppose do it all kind of grind. Just like the Swiss Army knife, it is not the best knife or screw driver.
Sharpening.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Of course, there are a lot in between and completely different grind as well, like the traditional grind.
IMO, the best grind does not exist, we gain some lose some. If whatever grind works for you, keep it.

Oneway Website

Gord,

Oneway has a series of videos on their website on how to use their sharpening system. Take a look and see if it can help.

http://www.oneway.ca/multi-media/index.htm

I found them very informative.

It also depends on how you are measuring your angle. Are you describing the angle formed by the long axis of the gouge and the bevel ? If you are the 30 deg. is good for a spindle gouge. As has been said already, about 40 deg. is good for a bowl gouge when measured the same way. More metal under the cutting edge for better strength.

You know Gord, I went round and round and round with all of this, and I had somewhat limited results, one thing that happens also, is that over time, your grinding wheel gets smaller, so the angle changes there too.

IN the American Woodturner Magazine, Vol 21, No.4 Winter 2006, There is an article by Kirk DeHeer called "Sharpening Demystified" it is really worth searching out, this system works.