Lathe motor question and gloat..UPDATED NOT A GLOAT ANYMORE

Finally found out this past week that the Baldor 1HP motor that I bought for $30 was/is shot. It had a short in the wound wire. I just left it at the motor repair shop as they said all it was good for was junk. I will continue to look for a "affordable" motor to replace the 1/4HP $5 motor that I have on the lathe now....another motor question thread in general woodworking...

Might look into a Washing machine motor. I used one for years on an old lathe, They are two speed and can be wired with a double throw switch to swap back and forth between the two, in addition to the step pulley. I wired mine with a DPDT switch as well as a on/off switch. 1/2" shaft usually cheap when found or even Free if you find a discarded washer.

Finally found out this past week that the Baldor 1HP motor that I bought for $30 was/is shot. It had a short in the wound wire. I just left it at the motor repair shop as they said all it was good for was junk.

It's a crying shame that no one can "Fix" anything anymore, everything seems to be Throw Away. For many years we had not one, but THREE electric motor repair shops here that could repair anything electric including "Rewinding" motors, (which they did all the time, and very economically too), and they never scrapped anything. Now, we have several motor repair shops, but I don't think any of them can rewind a motor.:(

It's a crying shame that no one can "Fix" anything anymore, everything seems to be Throw Away. For many years we had not one, but THREE electric motor repair shops here that could repair anything electric including "Rewinding" motors, (which they did all the time, and very economically too), and they never scrapped anything. Now, we have several motor repair shops, but I don't think any of them can rewind a motor.:(

Norman, there are 5 electric motor repair shops in town, but all of them said that if a single phase motor needs to be rewound it's just not cost effective. They had several dozen rewound 220 and 3 phase motors for sale, but I don't have the power in the garage for them. We don't plan on staying in this house more than a few more years anyway, so I don't plan on adding it either.

Bill, when I inherited the lathe it had a washing machine motor on it, but it stopped working as well. I have been looking around for another one, but no luck yet.

Here we go again!!

I've had another lathe motor problem. I've been using an old 1/4HP gen. electic motor that I bought for $5 at a garage sale on my lathe for the past few months...I think I overworked it because it smoked last night and won't start up anymore. Could just be to old as well. :dunno: I'm heading to KS this weekend to my parents and will be going through Lincoln, NE, so I'm stopping in at Burden's Surplus Center to pick up a new motor. These are the 2 I'm looking at. Problably going with the first. (click on the pics to see details)

Anyone have a suggestion as to which one to go with?

Last edited:
I would pick the first for a couple of reasons. First, it's a TEFC which is good in a wood shop. Second, it has two caps on it. Usually, that indicates that one cap is used for startup and the other for running. Having a running cap can slightly reduce the current through the motor and lower the heat.

Otherwise, they look similar - same service factor, both reversable, both dual voltage, both 56 frame.

Mike

Vaughn and Mike, I think we have a winner! That's the one my dad reccommended too!

It also looks like the TEFC one can be mounted on the face which would open up more possibilities for me to mount it. The original motor my grandpa used was face mounted. Thanks!