Five Barns 2008

Bill Grumbine

Greetings all!

It is snowing, it is freezing cold, and ice is on the way. So let us turn our thoughts to happier, warmer times. Yes, it is time to start thinking of the Annual Five Barns Picnic! Now maybe you are new to the forum here and are wondering what Five Barns might be.

The Five Barns Picnic is a woodworking get together hosted by the Grumbine family and has its roots in people from the forums meeting one another going all the way back to 1995! For years we hosted small gatherings at our old home in Easton, but now that we have some ground, we have made it a bigger event. The picnic is a two day event in eastern PA, just west of Allentown. It is open to anyone who wants to come. All you need to do is tell me you are coming, how many are coming, and when you are coming. We endeavor to provide food for all, but it is also a pot luck sort of thing, and we have all come to anticipate some of the regional delicacies that folks like to bring along. Nothing is required, and there is no admittance fee, but contributions are gratefully accepted.

For two days there will be all sorts of things going on in a woodworking way. There will be turning demonstrations (of course!) but there will also be other demos. In years past we have had router demos, tool sharpening, marquetry, and even a Woodmizer bandsaw mill operating in the barnyard. But, this is a family event! Wives (husbands) children, significant others, are all welcome. We have a large food court type of area covered and away a bit from the shop for those who want to get away from the noise and dust for a while to eat and chat. We have a small pool, 18’ round, which is open to anyone who wants to get in. You are responsible for your own children at all times, regardless of where they are or what they are doing!

People bring wood and tools and all sorts of things to swap. If you have made arrangements with someone else to buy or sell a tool, piece of machinery, etc, that is fine, but this is NOT a commercial event. There are no booths, no vendors, or anything like that. It’s a picnic!

There are some requirements for attendance. First, you need to write me via email. I am trying something new this year. Emails should be addressed to fivebarns@yahoo.com. Please, please, please, if you write me and tell me you are coming, come. If you write and say you are coming, and then cannot because something came up, please let me know. It is very frustrating to have a list of 40 people who write to say, I might come, or I’ll see if there is nothing else to do that day, and then never show. It is also frustrating to have people say they are coming and then never show or bother to write and say so. We know things come up, but please consider that we need to know whether or not to plan for 20 people or 200. Second, I need a real name. This is my home, and while I suppose someone could very easily lie to me, it makes SWMBO a lot happier to know that we have guests coming with real names. Third, PLEASE do not bring your dog. We have had several dogs here, all unannounced, and while they have been very well behaved, if we get 20 or 30 dogs running around, it is going to be a madhouse. Not only does it get my dogs wound up, but then I have to explain to all the people who did not bring their dog why I let someone else bring theirs. I love dogs, but this is too big a gathering to have more than the two who live here, and even they can be a problem.

Lodging. People come to this thing from all over. There are a number of hotels close by. There are two campgrounds, one five miles and one 10 miles away. We also have plenty of room on our property for those who want to rough it in their tent or trailer.

Alcohol. In years past we have allowed it, and everyone has acted responsibly. I will continue to do so as long as everyone else behaves, but I have no qualms about dealing with someone who cannot control themselves. Alcohol and tools do not mix. If you want to drink, do it responsibly and stay away from the tools.

The dates are Friday and Saturday July 18 and 19. Sunday is our day of rest and we go to church. Anyone who wants to come along with us is welcome. Festivities start Friday after lunch – i.e. after 12:00 PM. If you show up early you will be put to work.

I will be making announcements and updates here on the forum, but the important stuff is always going to be by email. Directions and other information are conveyed by email. If you plan on coming, email me. Remember, direct your email to fivebarns@yahoo.com Thanks, and we are looking forward to seeing you all here – well a lot of you anyway!

Bill

As I look at the 8-and-a-half our drive, trying to think of ways to justify it, I wonder, just how far is the farthest distance someone has come for Five Barns? :rolleyes:

Art, 8 1/2 hours is as nothing compared to some of the distances people have traveled. We have had some of your fellow Canadians here for both Five Barns and the Robust party. In various years we have had people from WA, CA, TX, FL, GA, WI, MI, and many other states. The folks who were here last summer from CA said they live about 60 ft from the Pacific Ocean!

Why, Jim Shaver drove all the way down here for dinner one time!

Bill

Mida and I will be there! We'll spend a few days in Hershey/Lancaster/Intercourse along the way, and make a week out of it!

BTW, I highly recommend the Hampton Inn In Allentown.

Where exactly is this event :D

I'll most likely be in Canada that weekend celebrating my parent's 50th wedding anniversary...........so I'll not be able to attend, but that date is NOT set in stone yet......

How long of a drive would it be from BC Canada to your place Bill? :dunno:

Stu,

It ain't far from Vancouver, according to maps.google.com. A mere 2,920 miles. Or, if you prefer KM, 4,701. Sez here you can make it in 1 day 19 hours... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Kutztown, PA (See the location on Bill's posts)

Are you ready for this? :eek:

KelownaBC_to_KutztownPA.gif

I'll most likely be in Canada that weekend celebrating my parent's 50th wedding anniversary...........so I'll not be able to attend, but that date is NOT set in stone yet......

You're a Kelowna boy, aren't you?

This far, then:
stutrip.jpg

What's a mere 1 day + 19 hrs?
Or drive via London and pick me up on the way. I'll buy donuts. :rofl:

Let me guess: Tim Hortons? :D

Well it probably won't be Krispy Kreme... ;)

(Krispy Kreme moved into Canada with huge fanfare 2-3 years ago, IIRC, franchises were going for big bucks. They had the country blanketed. I think they lasted a year. From what I've heard there are only a few left in the country.

On the other hand, I was quite surprised when driving home from Grand Rapids on Sunday to see a Tim Hortons on the US side of the border, somewhere between Flint and Port Huron on I-69.

irrelevantly yours,
...art

There's actually quite a few in Michigan and Ohio. Wendy's and Tim Hortons have a joint venture of some sort. Krispy Kreme is pretty much gone here too.

IIRC, there's an intersection in London with two Tim Hortons at it?

Robert, I will look forward to seeing you here, and perhaps we can hoist a few in memory of our mutual friend Limey.

Stu, where is your sense of adventure!?! What an opportunity to see the country! You'd get it all except NJ, and I've been there. There's not much to see. :rolleyes:

Jim, as always we will look forward to seeing you and Mida again.

For the rest of you, there is still time to sign up! It is getting one day closer every day though, so don't let it slip your mind.

Bill

Boy, sounds fun

Well, I live in Grand Rapids, MI, and I would love to come. But dunno if I can yet. I just bought a lathe from a fellow in Plainwell, MI who said he went to your place a couple years ago. My wife's sister lives in Ohio, and we haven't visited them since they moved there. This would be a great oppoortunity to visit them, and make the picnic, but my wife has health problems, so she probably wouldn't make it to the picnic. However, I could drop her off there and drive the rest of the way myself. Hmmm....I love it when a plan comes together. I'll let you know if I can get there.

Hutch

P.S. Bill, if I wanted to camp out on your propery, do you have an outhouse or porta-jon?

Last edited: