New Job Gloat!!

Jeff Bower

This isn't really that off topic, it is related to woodworking, but I just found out that my application was accepted by the Woodsmith Store to work part-time. You can see more about it here if you don't know about it already.

http://www.woodsmithstorespecials.com/main/driving.html

I will only work about 5-10hrs a week there, but since I'm there over lunch at least 2 times a week I figure I might as well get paid to be there. Don't know if there is a employee discount, but that would be an added bonus if there is. :headbang: :D

Would love to work at my Woodcraft, but they dont have a turn over of help. The help has been there from the get go going on 4 years. Maybe they know something we dont.

Hey Jeff, a BIG Congratulations on the PTJ @ Woodcraft. I would "LOVE to Work" part time for them, but just can't afford it.:( (seems they don't pay quite well enough even with discounts to compensate for the Gasoline it would take for the 300 mile commute each way).:rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Some of you guys are just "TOO" Lucky.;)

Congratulations, hope you can afford this part time job. I turned down a part time job at a gunstore I frequent. Told the owner I couldn't afford to work there, heck every other week I would be asking him how much I owe him!!!!! :rolleyes::dunno::huh::eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Congratulations, hope you can afford this part time job.

That is somewhat of a concern....:) The LOML told me I could take the job only if I agreed to not ask for additional $$ to buy something there.:eek: Hopefully I can use the advise my parents have always told me, "Don't go broke saving money." :rolleyes: I won't start until the weekend of the 23rd and I'm trying not to go to the store to start my list....I should say add to my list I already have.:D

Jeff, in all reality and what the other workers at the gunstore told me, you will go through a period of buying. That is normal, then it will slow down as you realize you can pick it up any time. Be glad they don't take tradeins, just imagine the used tool selection you would have to draw from!

They do have floor models used in demos and classes though that they sell from time to time....I'm hoping they get some mustard in so I can get it with the "rust" discount. (I won't tell anyone that I caused the rust with my drool.):D:p

Congratulations on the job. I started teaching at the local Woodcraft and, as part of the deal, I get a discount on my purchases there. I don't make that much teaching, but the discount has certainly been worth while.

Like Bob Spare commented, the people who work there have been there forever and there's almost no turnover. The guy who owns it is extremely nice and very fair in his dealings (at least he has been with me).

Mike

That is somewhat of a concern....:) The LOML told me I could take the job only if I agreed to not ask for additional $$ to buy something there.:eek: Hopefully I can use the advise my parents have always told me, "Don't go broke saving money." :rolleyes: I won't start until the weekend of the 23rd and I'm trying not to go to the store to start my list....I should say add to my list I already have.:D
I used to work in a drum and guitar store, and the owner let his employees run a tab. That was dangerous, but I kept it under control. ;)

That is cool Jeff....

Its always a win-win situation when woodworking retailers get employees who are passionate about their woodworking skills. In these days of sales people who are merely there for pay, its truly wonderful to get sales people that ere woodworkers too.

At the same time...a side job can really pack some money into the savings account, or pay down a bill or too. The key is to stay focused on a certain financial goal and stick to your guns. If you just take the money and stick it in the general fund, then I noticed people tend to get burned out from the extra hours of work,and don't feel its worth the effort anymore. If you dedicate the money for something specific though,you see how quickly those extra hours pay off.

I had my orientation last night at Woodsmith...there is an employee discount(and other good perks), but thankfully it does not include a "charge" account for part-timers. That would have gotten me in trouble.:eek: I start next week.:)

That is cool Jeff....
If you just take the money and stick it in the general fund, then I noticed people tend to get burned out from the extra hours of work,and don't feel its worth the effort anymore. If you dedicate the money for something specific though,you see how quickly those extra hours pay off.

Travis, last year this time I was working 60-65 hrs a week and getting very burnt out. I took another position with the company I work for that pays the same, but doesn't have as many promotion opportunities. I'm happier, my wife is happier and I know my daughter is happier too. Working around 10hrs a week in a place that I probably spent 1hr a week anyway is a win-win situation as you said.