SC planer

Hi Rex,

Not to change the purpose of your thread, but I am also deciding on a planer to purchase. I have narrowed it down to a Dewalt (DW733 or DW734) or the Ridgid. Is there a reason why you have eliminated the Dewalt planers from your list?

rex,
for these small planers shop only on local service and warranty. they`ll all cut about the same and are priced close to one another but when they break service can break the bank if you`ve gotta pay freight.

Hi Rex,

Not to change the purpose of your thread, but I am also deciding on a planer to purchase. I have narrowed it down to a Dewalt (DW733 or DW734) or the Ridgid. Is there a reason why you have eliminated the Dewalt planers from your list?

Too late. You are now a certified "thread-jacker". I've been running a 734 for over 2 years. Just getting ready to change knives. Been very happy with it.

Frank do you bleed green too? I figured that you would chime in for the grizz. I don't want to pay freight and LOML won't let me take a road trip. I could use the warmer weather but must stay here. From some talk the DeWalt has thinner blades and may need to be replaced to turned quicker. I am looking at a 3 blade unit and would like the 2 speed because I will be doing mostly hardwood. Also the De Walt is higher priced.

Frank do you bleed green too? I figured that you would chime in for the grizz. I don't want to pay freight and LOML won't let me take a road trip. I could use the warmer weather but must stay here. From some talk the DeWalt has thinner blades and may need to be replaced to turned quicker. I am looking at a 3 blade unit and would like the 2 speed because I will be doing mostly hardwood. Also the De Walt is higher priced.

No, I don't bleed green. I favor the Griz because, so far, their tools have proven themselves to be excellent and the best value for the dollar on the market. (Qualification: for my use) Their store is close enough to me that I don't pay shipping. The best for a given dollar is the deciding factor for me.

In defence of Frank and his Grizzly they are pretty good units. I have a neighbor that worked in a cabinet shop with 10 other guys and that is all they used. According to him they had very few problems with their machines. He says that for the homeowner that it will last a lifetime. I am trying to get enough cash together to go down to Grizz's tent sale and purchase a few items myself, but kinda need a planer now.