Grizzly Spindle Sander Help

My spindle is stuck. Any idea on how to free it up? I have taken it all apart and I am trying to get this thing off and it just won't come loose. I bought it a couple of years ago and have never changed the spindle. Any help would be appreciated.

Ben

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/bendo4365/IMG_0025.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/bendo4365/IMG_0026.jpg

Ben, I'm not familiar with that machine, so I don't know which way the spindle turns, but depending on that, is it possible that it could be a left hand thread?

Anyhow, what you might try to free it up is as follows:
1. Take some emery cloth and wrap tightly around the arbor a couple of times and then lock a pair of heavy vice grips onto the arbor so that the bottom edge of the vice grips are laying solidly against the base frame and or arbor bearing, (to protect the bearing and gears in the unit).
2. Place an Old 3/8 " or 1/2" drive socket (or deep socket) upside down over the threads of the spindle so it rests on the shoulder of the spindle at the bottom of the threads. (use the smallest drive size that will clear the threads)
3. With a ball Peen Hammer, rap sharply straight down on the socket three or four times.
4. Try to unscrew the spindle.

If the above doesn't work, you can also try holding a solid block of steel against one side of the arbor and rap the opposite side, then rotate the arbor 1/4 turn, (90*), and repeat. Do this a few times and it should loosen up.

You can always apply heat to the part that is the female of the connection, but I would avoid this if at all possible, due to the close proximity of the bearing, AND changing the "Temper" of the piece and ruining it.

Good Luck.

Maybe removing that plate on the side with the picture of the safety glasses and looking inside would give a clue. Or, call Grizzly tech support. They are very good at helping with problems like this.

Second the motion on calling Grizzly tech support. Or depending on how quickly you need to get it resolved try csr@grizzly.com. They're quick to respond, and very helpful. Try that first, then try Norman's solution.