conquering the bowl gouge - episode #1

Frank Fusco

Well folks, today, the clouds parted and angels descended singing hallelujahs. At least, I thought I heard them. ;) Spent most of the day today at the shop of a friend from my woodturning club. After helping another fellow member conquer the skew he turned his efforts to helping me overcome the bowl gouge. I have four of them and, until today, never was able to do more than 'touch and catch' when trying to use them. He sharpened the two biggest and demonstrated their use. Hey! They work! :clap: Actually, I believe the way they were sharpened was a huge part of the problem. With the current sharpening angles, they actually cut wood. I got a start on two bowls. One a piece of alder Vaughn sent me, the other walnut. The walnut bowl is now a funnel. Friend/instructor went all the way through with his depth gauge drill demo. I'll have to do something imaginative with that. Vaughn's alder has some side by side very soft and very hard knot spots and will require some work but it will end up a decent something, I'm sure. Good news, no more 'touch and catch' and I actually make curlies and shavings with the bowl gouges.

glad mine swivels

Friend/instructor has a Powermatic but chose instead to demo on his Jet mini. Quickly found out the mini is way-way underpowered for bowl work. However, I learned why it is said some like to work from the end of the bed when bowl turning. Using that bowl gouge and reaching/leaning is low back torture. My Grizzly lathe head swivels and I'm now super glad it has that feature and that I bought a tool rest extension. Upright I will stand for this :)and also for hollowing and sanding. BTW, the Powermatic has some parts on it identical to my Grizzly, the legs being one (OK, two) and some knobs and other things. Thought that was interesting.

Oh well, there goes my four free bowl gouges........... :doh:

Glad you got a handle on it Frank, it is amazing what you can do with the tool correctly ground and a little instruction.

Congrats!:wave:

Good going, Frank. Glad to hear it's starting to make sense. :thumb: Once you get comfortable with the various ways to cut with a bowl gouge, it's a pretty remarkable tool.

That alder has varied from piece to piece. I just finished up a bowl and was having the same hard/soft spots. In the end, I gave up on trying to make it even. That piece I sent you was intended for practice...I figure it's served at that. I'll have to find you something a bit more consistent next time. :)

Good going, Frank, sounds like it was a successful day, Annnnnnd....... looks like the "Gods" looked out for you as well by keeping you away from the edge of that "Mustard Vortex".:D I guess we won't have to worry about those "Shocking Headlines" after all.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Congrats Frank! Most folks tend to grind too steep an angle on their bowl gouges and they start looking like deep flute spindle gouges. Second most common error is not getting the tools sharp enough. In fact, since you mentioned the skew, that's the #1 error for most skews and their users early attempts.

The learning experience yesterday moved me beyond the wall I had hit several years ago. My ideas on several things have been challenged. Number one is sharpening technique. I have always sharpened freehand, even with knives and carving tools before I discovered lathes. My lathe tools have also been sharpened freehand and I did OK. But seeing the Wolverine jig in use was an epiphany moment. I believe it is the only proper way to sharpen a bowl gouge. Restated: I don't believe I am capable of maintaining a proper angle on a bowl gouge by sharpening freehand. So, it looks like a Wolverine or PSI knock-off is in my future. I'll need a new wheel also as my current one is not perfectly round. Should have returned when I first got it.

I'll need a new wheel also as my current one is not perfectly round. Should have returned when I first got it.
Get a diamond dressing tool. That'll get it round quickly - and they're not that expensive.

Anyone who sharpens on a grinder should have one.

Mike

[I have the Wolverine jig system and like it very much.]

Last edited:
If you buy the Wolverine jig system, consider buying their diamond dresser. It's a single stone and takes a little longer but you end with the surface of the stone exactly perpendicular to the tool "holder" and round.

Congrats on learning to use a bowl gouge.

Frank,
can you post pictures of how the bowl gouges were sharpened... I have 3 that I can sorta use, but not with any great skill and now that I have a bigger lathe I need to get a little beyond "sorta".

Frank,
can you post pictures of how the bowl gouges were sharpened... I have 3 that I can sorta use, but not with any great skill and now that I have a bigger lathe I need to get a little beyond "sorta".

OK, I hope this helps. Before sharpening, the bevel was very short. As you know, I couldn't use it at all. This way, and now knowing the proper angle of attack, I can actually make shavings.

Attachments

• bowl gouge.jpg
    bowl gouge.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 49
Frank, just remember to keep it sharp ! I know when I start fighting the wood it's 'cause I have gotten to lazy to sharpen or start thinking I can still get just a bit more out of it. You are well on your way with the BG.

Frank,

I use the Wolverine jig sharpening system. Often when I start a bowl, I set up the jig, sharpen the bowl gouge and leave the sharpeing system in place, set up. Then it's just a short time to put the gouge in the vari-grind adapter......place in the holder....touch up the edge and back to the lathe.

I knew you could learn to use the bowl gouge.....I did....having no trainer available.....

Congrats!

Frank...
Glad to hear you're getting more use out of that G0632. btw, I usually use a rolled up piece of paper to transfer coffee beans from the roaster chamber to the bean container...that walnut "funnel" might be just the ticket. One other thing...I recently bought a Tormek T7, and although the honeymoon isn't over yet so far I love it for my turning tools. Couple years ago I bought the Wolverine system...basic system + vari-grind attachment + skew attachment + dressing attachment. Didn't use it much, don't use it at all now. Let me know if you're interested.
Cheers.