Monster HF Tool

Well got my HF tool from Randy today. Problem is I am a little under the weather so won't get to use it for a day or two. Got the creeping crude from a couple of co-workers who think it is ok to come to work sick. I bought it for the Nova DVR. Of course that didn't stop me from setting it up. All I can say is Wow that thing is smooth. Didn't put the laser on yet. I will report at a later date.

Attachments

• Monster HF Arm Tool 1.jpg
    Monster HF Arm Tool 1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Monster HF Arm Tool 2.jpg
    Monster HF Arm Tool 2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 85
Congrats Bernie. Looks like you'll be putting out some HFs little bit easier now. :thumb: Do make sure you show it with curlies all over it.

You're gonna like that rig, Bernie. Congrats! As I've used mine more and more, I'm getting a better feel for it. I've found that if I'm having problems with the cut (chatter, for example), I can move the base a little to change the angles in the articulating arm and get a different reaction out of the cutting tool. Like I said, you're gonna like it. :thumb:

Congratulations Bernie with this great tool. I do all my hollowing jobs with a hollowing rig, works so well !!

good looking rig, bernie. fits the shorter nova ok from the looks of it.

how long was the wait from ordering to receipt?

Thanks for the comments. This is one cool machine.

Clark I ordered mine on 01/28/2008 and received it today. Like Vaughn said it is well worth the wait. If I wasn't under the weather I would be out there right now.

that's great news bernie...i used vaughn's, among others, reviews of randy's tools on this forum as the basis of choosing my hollowing system. i was just interested in the wait and your report is encouraging. my system has been on order for a short time and am looking forward to being able to hollow something deeper than 3-4".

Clark, it's tough but worth the wait, as you could see Randy is known for quality products. IMO - he makes a really nice handle too.

Thanks for the comments. This is one cool machine.

Clark I ordered mine on 01/28/2008 and received it today. Like Vaughn said it is well worth the wait. If I wasn't under the weather I would be out there right now.

Bernie, how do you think this will handle the torque of HF turning vs. the captured D-handle which has the extra support bar and rails to confine the movement?

Also, where do they recommend holding on to the articulating arm during turning? Looks like that would be kind of awkward???

Thanks, Dale

I'm not Bernie, but I've got the same rig (as well as the Monster D-handle rig for comparison.) So far mine seems to deal with the torque better than the captured D-handle, since there's less rotational play. (Out of necessity, the D-handle is a little loose between the captive bars. No looseness with the articulating ball bearing joints.)

I'm still discovering different preferences for holding it, depending on how it responds to the different cuts. In general, I hold the boring bar at the tool rest with my left hand, and farther back on the bar with my right hand. I rest my right arm on the articulated section to dampen it a bit. It's not uncomfortable...sort of like a moving armrest.

Dale I agree with Vaughn. I have had a bad case of the flu and last night is the first night I felt like going to the shop. I tried it out a little bit just to give it a go. I found holding the bar at the tool rest and back by the laser holder was best for me. I will tell you I like it a lot better than the captured rig and it is less tiring to me. I can used a relaxed grip on it unlike the captured rig. I also hogged the wood pretty hard and it handled the torque very easily. I was doing a small potpourri pot and it was just slick. It moves so much smoother than the captured rig also.