Toshiba abandons HD DV...

I've had no plans to buy either one in the near future but it is good to know which way the industry is heading.

I rarely use my DVD player. I bought it two years ago and must have played just three movies on it.

I just saw a story this morning that Walmart is only going to sell Blu-Ray. We are (or at least were--we had to buy a new furnace yesterday) planning to get a HD TV this summer and I've wanted to get a DVD Recorder at the same time but was worried about which format would win out. But it sounds like it will be all but decided by that time.

Nice to know the Blu-Ray is the way, I'd hate to buy one of those systems and find out it is a modern Betamax :doh:

In our local video rental place, they have about 5% video tapes, and they are all the older movies, nothing "New" comes out on video.

Won't be long and we will be renting movie chips, like a smart chip with the movie on it, simple and no moving parts in the player, no lens to get dirty etc. :thumb:

[snip] Won't be long and we will be renting movie chips, like a smart chip with the movie on it, simple and no moving parts in the player, no lens to get dirty etc. :thumb:
I don't want to have to rent anything physical - I want to be able to download the movies I want to see and store them on my disk drive - which in a few years will be multiple terrabytes.

Mike

I can already do that, no problem, I can pay a flat rate to rent as many movies as I want, and watch them as many times as I want (the store on your HDD option) or I can pay a much smaller fee to download and watch it just once.

Thing is, my TV is not in the same room as my computer, but that too will change, down the road, I can see my "TV" being a large monitor, that we have in the living room, hooked up via LAN to the regular computer etc.

I recently bought an external HDD 420 GB with the super turbo USB 2.0 for about $110, works great, that was a couple of months ago, I'm sure now the TB drives are out there :D :wave:

...I recently bought an external HDD 420 GB with the super turbo USB 2.0 for about $110, works great, that was a couple of months ago, I'm sure now the TB drives are out there :D :wave:

Umm...yeppers. :D You got a decent deal on your 420 GB drive, though. These days, the USB drives are selling at lower prices because the eSATA interfaces are the new hotness. (And Firewire, which is also pretty fast.)

Nice to know the Blu-Ray is the way, I'd hate to buy one of those systems and find out it is a modern Betamax :doh:

"BetaMax" is why Blu-Ray won the war, Stu - Sony got clobbered over Beta - even though it was a better, higher-resolution recording system. Until they all went digital, ALL of the tape-based TV cameras you ever saw were BetaMax recording units. So, in the intervening years, Sony has been buying up film calogues - So now when Sony comes out with Blu-Ray - they have lots n lots n LOTS of content to release in that format.

Sony said "Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me." and decide they weren't gonna get fooled twice.

The minute I saw this format war start, between Sony's Blu-Ray & the HD-DVD, I knew Sony would end up winning it. They weren't gonna lose the same battle twice.

-Kevin in Indy

Just before Christmas, my wife got the itch for a 46" HDTV. Sears had a 4 hour sale. There is a local tv/stereo store that sells some pretty good stuff. It is family owned and I trust the guy who runs it. So I went to see Bill with my wife in tow knowing that if there was no "hitches" I'd probably leave Bill's establishment for a trip to Sears and come home with a big screen HD tv. After talking with Bill.......Blue Ray vs HD sounded a whole lot like the top end Beta-max Bill sold me. I bought the most expensive best Sony Beta-Max for the LOML. She's the tv addict. Well, needless to say, about 3 years later they were giving the beta-max tapes away and I was out buying a cheaper VHS player/recorder. Listening to Bill, next year I'll be buying HDTV and BlueRay.......I'll probably buy from him again. He's always steered me to some good equipment except for that little Sony Beta-Max thing....:eek:

As my son would say" save your money with the blue ray players and buy a Play station 3. It has a blue ray player in it and is less expensive than the floor model Blue rays. He says that Sony looses hundreds on all PS3's because of the Blue ray players. They work just fine though as I have watched them on his PS3 and our wide screen TV and the quality is amazing.