One sick little girl

What a long night...

In Alyson's 18 months of life this is the sickliest she has ever been. Between the coughing, throwing up, fever and unable to sleep...she is one sick little girl. She's been one healthy girl so far...never seeing the pediatrician outside of regular check-ups but if she is not better in the morning, I think we might have to go to the hospital.

I know its something every parent goes through, but boy does it break your heart to see your little one so sick. Its been a long night for her mother and I. About the only silver lining I can see is this. Alyson has been finding her independence lately so being rocked to sleep is something she does not like to do anymore. Last night though she did not mind it at all. Neither did I...technically she's a toddler now, but she'll always be my baby girl.

Travis,
It does break your heart to see them that sick you want to make them better but can't. That is some kics tush bug going around. Hope she feels better.

Chuck

I think a visit with a Dr. would be a good thing. Better safe than sorry.

Here's a link http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/medical/heart/kawasaki.html for something that most people haven't even heard of. Our grand-daughter had this a little over 3 years ago when she was 9. Very few cases happen at that old of an age for a kid. Mostly infant to 5-6 years.

The treatment is pretty easy. It's the diagnosis that's really hard, as this malady mimicks so many other things. It is not to be taken lightly though. By the time we had a diagnosis, we were about 24 hours from losing our grand-daughter.

Anyway, well worth reading up on this one for all you that have younguns.

Karl

Travis,
Watch her fluid intake - a neighbor just spent 3 days in the hospital with her 6 year old on IVs to rehydrate her after having the same flu like symptoms.

I hope Alyson is doing better this afternoon.

Wes

Travis, I sure hope Alyson is doing better....

One statement you made hit home with me...

"technically she's a toddler now, but she'll always be my baby girl."

Could not be more true...my daughters are in their late 20's, early 30's and they are each and everyone, still my little girls! Each of them a favorite!

Doug

She is going to the Doctor's today. I told my wife last night she was really sick. I watched her all afternoon and all she did was lay on my lap and sleep on and off. I could not get her to drink anything, and eating was out too. She also felt hot, really hot, but my wife felt it was just a bad cold. We took her temp and it was 102º...

I am sure its not life-threatening, but she's going to the doctor's anyway. I'll keep you updated on this little girls condition.

She is going to the Doctor's today. I told my wife last night she was really sick. I watched her all afternoon and all she did was lay on my lap and sleep on and off. I could not get her to drink anything, and eating was out too. She also felt hot, really hot, but my wife felt it was just a bad cold. We took her temp and it was 102º...

I am sure its not life-threatening, but she's going to the doctor's anyway. I'll keep you updated on this little girls condition.

Taking to doctor, at this point, is the right thing. Not taking fluids is serious. Use tepid water on chest and forehead to keep temp under control.
Keep us informed. God bless.

Hey Travis it could be all kinds of things. My kids acted that way with ear infections. They had lots. The Hospital's or docs office is the best thing you can do for her at this point. Leaving anything too long with a kid can be dangerous for them. I know from previous threads you are the worst to going out to see the Doc but make the effort with Alison. Then take the same advice in the future for yourself. :eek::thumb::thumb: Hope that she is feeling better soon as I know how hard it isd to see the kids suffer. That is something that will never change.

Travis,
I hope she's on the mend by now. Sounds like it may take a while before she's back to her old self. It's never any fun. I remember when i was a kid and really sick, my mom would make special "shakes" for me with an orange, some banana, ice, and yougurt.
I haven't had one of those in 25 years, but it was one of the bright spots be being sick as a kid.
Hope all is well.
Paul Hubbman

Alyson Update:

Well we could not get Alyson in to the Doctors yesterday as its School Vacation Week and they are pretty backed up. We got her in today though, and here's the scoop..

• She had the flu but time has ran its course and she's on her way to heath
  • She has a double ear infection though and has medicine for that now
  • She grew 1 inch making her 35 inches high at 19 months old...off the charts for a baby of this age, but her weight gain was only a pound so she is in her 75% percentile for height/weight/age

Boy there are some long nights when you baby is sick huh? I think I would rather be sick myself then to see Alyson be so sickly. Anyway she is slowly starting to get better, definately sleeping better and eating and drinking too. We are still taking it easy with her and limiting her exposure to outside (its still cold here) but luckily this is vacation week and her Mom is a teacher so that worked out well.

Thanks everyone for caring...you certainly put the family in www.familywoodworking.com :)

Glad to hear that she is doing better Travis. I know what you mean about the kids being sick. I wish there was some way to take all the pain and suffering away from them but all we can do is be there for them when they need us. Take care of that little one. Pay particular attention to the ear infections from now on as she may be more prone to getting them now.

Glad to hear Alyson is on the mend. I'm not surprised about the ear infections - Sam had one ear infected after his bout. Thankfully he is now old enough to tell us what's hurting - and to understand Mom and Dad can't make it "all better" right away.

Hope the rest of the winter is healthy for her!

Wes

Glad to hear she is on the mend. Flu can be a very rough experience. Fortunately, there are some excellent antibiotics these days for ear infections. And, yes, parents would rather it be them than their children.
BTW, some communities now have what are called 'urgent care' drop-in centers. Less than emergency rooms but available for situations like yours, and far less expensive than the ER. My daughter-in-law is a pediatrician and often pulls urgent care duty, and is kept busy.

Glad to hear she is on the mend. Flu can be a very rough experience. Fortunately, there are some excellent antibiotics these days for ear infections. And, yes, parents would rather it be them than their children.
BTW, some communities now have what are called 'urgent care' drop-in centers. Less than emergency rooms but available for situations like yours, and far less expensive than the ER. My daughter-in-law is a pediatrician and often pulls urgent care duty, and is kept busy.

They used to have one here, but they ended up merging both the emergency room and urgent care back into one. I am sure it had to do more with nursing shortages then anything else though.

Either way Alyson is on the mend, but I spoke too quick. I think I got what she got, because I am pretty sick today and last night. To sick to make dull stainless shiny at work, but well enough to type on here. :type::type::type::type:

Travis, I like to have a hot tottie I think its called. A shot or two of scotch with a touch of peppermint,warmed a little. Clears up congestion and helps you sleep. Grandma old cure. Hope you feel better.