Bench Plane Revitalization

jim crockett

I have a plane that was my dad's - not anything valuable or unusual but some sentimental value. It is marked "Handyman".

I have removed surface rust and cleaned the body, flattened the sole with lots of sandpaper on a marble slab and have sharpened the blade at a 25 degree bevel. I have removed the tote and knob and am sanding them down and will probably finish with tung oil?

Just wondering what else you folks more experienced than I with planes (probably most of you) would recommend.

Thanks, JimC

Yep, Alan hit the nail on the head, make sure that others in your family know it was your Dad's plane, maybe someday, one of your kids will use it too.

No reason why it should not last a few more generations :thumb:

ANY tool given or handed down . . .

deserves the respect of being cleaned up, rehabed ( to the degree of your tolorence for effort ) and put to use. I've had tools given me that were so far gone or low end that youd laugh out loud at a flea market. But well meaning freinds and relatives, who know of my affliction, think they are making my day. And they DO ! I put the same effort into restoring them as I did my # 289 or any of my " C "s. Now, SEEKING OUT vintage tools is another matter all together !

Sounds like you're having some fun with it. I always enjoy refurbishing an old plane, especially if i know it's got some sentimental value. For additional tips on rebuilding and tuning up hand planes, you can't go wrong with this website - www.rexmill.com
I've done a handful or so over the years. My favorite finish for the knob and tote is gel varnish. There's hardly anything simpler to use. Rub it in, wipe off the excess and let it dry. Do that a few times and you'll have a beautiful, durable finish that doesn't feel like plastic and really enhances the character of the wood.

Paul Hubbman

Sounds like you're having some fun with it. I always enjoy refurbishing an old plane, especially if i know it's got some sentimental value. For additional tips on rebuilding and tuning up hand planes, you can't go wrong with this website - www.rexmill.com
I've done a handful or so over the years. My favorite finish for the knob and tote is gel varnish. There's hardly anything simpler to use. Rub it in, wipe off the excess and let it dry. Do that a few times and you'll have a beautiful, durable finish that doesn't feel like plastic and really enhances the character of the wood.

Paul Hubbman

Great tip on the gel varnish - I'll have to see if I can find some around here. If not, there is always the internet!

And I'll definitely have to check out the rexmill.com site to see what else I should be doing to rehab the plane. I have a pretty rusted up Stanley (about 12-14") to tackle after I get this one done. My wife got it at a yard sale to sell on ebay but if I can fix it up nice, I think I'll keep it!

JimC

JimC

Handyman Stanley

I'm just getting into the restoration of old tools, so my oppinion probably doesn't count but; my understanding is that the purpose of a plane is to hold the iron. The Handyman series of planes were low end, but they "hold the iron". Most of the websites say that a new blade is a good upgrade for any old plane. I guess that goes for a Handyman. All planes need to be "tuned up". It seems to me that a Handyman should be able to be restored to a respectably usable plane. Go for it!