Hurry up and wait (OR I need a finish room)

Jeff Horton

hands_twiddling_thumbs_lg_nwm.gif
(Click)

Finishing is so annoying. Since I don't have a dedicated finish room I have to let it dry and not be cutting any wood or anything else that will stir up dust. So here I sit bored watching the Varnish dry. But at least I can admire the way it looks. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Comandeer . . .

a spare bedroom. If you're REALLY sly and do it in itty-bitty steps she won't notice 'till its over and done with. mine started with the offer of moving out of HER closet in " our room " and into one of the spares. Once its " your's " go into stealth mode !

:huh:..... never get noticed?? If my stuff, like say a tap measure, stays in the house to long it magically appears at the top of the stairs leading to the Lab. :dunno:

Sneak into a bedroom?? :rofl:

One of the reasons I mostly use shellac as my filming finish of choice. Might try mixing up your own fast dry wiping varnish. Thin the brush kind with naphtha instead of mineral spirits. Lets you get two or three coats on in a day and usually dry to touch in a fraction of the time as regular varnish.

Either that or switch to waterborne products. I've been using Target USL and Minwax Polycrylic. Both are dry enough to handle in 2 hours. They are dry enough that dust doesn't sink in in less than an hour.

Shellac is my first choice. But this is a WINE (Alcohol) cabinet. First spill and the finish is ruined.

Second choice was Lacquer. But I have never sprayed lacquer and I am concerned about the odor getting the house. You can usually smell what ever I am finishing with faintly in the house. But lacquer was is a major concern. And I haven't found it locally yet.

Varnish is something I will be using on the boats anyway, so it won out. Besides is looks darn good when it's dry!

You're right about the smell of lacquer, Jeff. I use it more than any other finish and have the same problem of not having a dedicated finishing room... yet. The next shop will have, complete w/proper ventilation. So I still have to wait until it's dry to do much of anything else. I also wait until I can leave the windows open and have a fan pulling the fumes out so most of my finishing doesn't get done during winter.:(