2nd Small HF

This is the second small HF. It is Elm with a walnut collar. I think the collar is a wee bit thick but the LOML likes it so I guess I will hush about it. It is 7" tall and 5 1/2" across. I finished it with Watco Danish Oil and will also either lacquer it or wipe on poly.

I had bought the mini and the 5/8" Kelton Hollowing tools in September but this is the first time I have got to use them. Boy they are nice. Carol Valentine got me onto them. You can hog wood and also shear scrape. The two HF's I did required very little sanding. Anyway critiques welcome.

Attachments

• Elm Walnut Vase 2.jpg
    Elm Walnut Vase 2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Elm Walnut Vase 3.jpg
    Elm Walnut Vase 3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Elm Walnut Vase 4.jpg
    Elm Walnut Vase 4.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Elm Walnut Vase 6.jpg
    Elm Walnut Vase 6.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 13
I can see that the Keyaki I deal with is certainly related to the Elm you have there, VERY nice grain in that piece!!

Hey, if your wife likes it, not much else to say! :thumb:

I'll have to look into those tools you mention............for ideas to make my own! ;) :D

Looks good, Bernie. I also agree about the collar, but every piece is a learning experience, and it looks like you're learning well. Glad to see the Kelton tools are working well for you. I'm itching to try doing some hollow stuff myself. (Still have a bit more learning to do before I get there. Things like learning where I can get my hands on some more fresh green turning wood here in LA.) ;)

Nice work Bernie! I love turning Elm, and it makes an awesome Hollow Form. Really pretty grain, and very cooperative wood to cut, sand and finish. I agree with you on the collar, but if Momma is happy, 'tis a good thing! ;) I think a couple of coats of wipe on poly, or lacquer, and a good buffing with shine that baby up like a new penny. Good stuff, thanks for sharing it with us! :)

Thanks everyone. Yep Elm is nice to turn. Stu that Keyaki you sent me turns like this Elm does. It just amazes me you can have a tree that can be so ugly turn out some pretty awesome looking wood.