Rough stuff

Most of the wood that I use is found i.e. it's free, and some is really rough stuff. I am interested in what you think of this sort of thing as often it isn't that popular over here. Personally I love the contrast between the rough and smooth but tastes vary. Be interested to know what you think

Comments welcome

Pete

Pete, I like them a lot. I have been collecting odd shape natural edge pieces (mostly burls) to do exactly what you have done, but have not had the time (or the nerve) to spin them yet. I keep staring at them trying to decide how to turn them and which edges to save.

Keep posting. Thanks for the inspiration.

Pete I like'em. I like the contrasts of the woods and the rough wings. I have the same problem as they don't sell well and don't seem to have the charm as do bowls, vases, etc. for some reason. They are just not popular here either.

Pete, I love the contrast in the pieces. The difference in texture and finish make them more interesting to me...don't stop making them if you enjoy them. It only takes one other person to like it to sell. :D

Pete - count me in with those who like your turnings! Real artsy stuff - I would think there has to be a market for them! Best of luck with your sales! I would like to see some more of your turnings!

I like them also

Looks good from this side of the pond Pete. You've done a nice job taking the odd lump of wood and "turning" it into a lovely work of art. Keep up the good work. There may be more of a market for these than you think.

Great work on all four pieces, Pete. I'll straddle the fence a bit here. I really like the pieces in the second and fourth photos, but #1 and #3 don't send me the way the other two do. The natural-edged pieces like these are always a bit of a gamble...you never really know what you're going to find until you open it up and see. Sometimes it's a diamond ring, others it's a tin whistle. ;) Gamble or not, they are definitely worth doing. Kudos, and carry on. :thumb:

Thanks for all the comments. As Vaughan said it really is hit and miss working with wood like this. These pieces were all hacked from the roots of a beech tree that had fallen. In real life the grain twists all over the place and can change your 'design plans' several times before you finish.

Personally I agree with Vaughan regarding preference, but tastes vary thank goodness.

Pete

Some more examples of my work so far then I'll shut up and admire everyone elses work. I've a long way to go to catch up with most of you

Spalted Beech, 11" tall

Spalted \Beech, 9" dia

Unknown spalted wood, it split after turning so I carved it rather than bin it

Cherry goblets, I do do normal things sometiomes:)

Spalted beech

Beech rootball, 11" dia

Unknown rotten wood. An experiment that SWMBO fell in love with, 9" tall

Pete

Ooh...I really like the spalted/split/carved vase. That one is very unique and attractive.

I've got a couple rootball pieces drying now, and several more in the woodpile ready for spinning. One of the ones that is drying is from the neighbor's firewood pile. He has no idea how nice the inside of the chunk of wood looks, so he'll be very surprised when he receives the hollow form that comes from it. ;)