Combining Lacewood With.....what?

I know this is a very subjective question, but I bring it to you folks anyway. I'm hoping to start a project where the primary material will be lacewood. I've never used it before, so I'm looking for suggestions on what might be a nice looking secondary wood, something that complements the color and figure of the lacewood.

Thanks very much!!

- Keith

Keith,

About a year ago I built a sofa table (one that sits behind the sofa) with Leopardwood field and legs with Birdseye maple for stretchers and banding on the top. I will look for the pictures. It turned out very elegant and well received by my wife.

I made a quilt rack using lacewood and figured maple. I thought this was a nice contrast but it is just a mater of preference and opinion. Here is a photo for reference.

Quiltrackfinished1.JPG

I don't know if it is common for lacewood to to be riddled with small cracks running along the grain but mine sure did. I filled and stabilized these cracks with ca glue and sawdust.

Here's a box I made with lacewood sides and a canary wood top:

Lacewood Canary 1 800.jpg Lacewood Canary 2 800.jpg Lacewood Canary 3 800.jpg

The pics don't show it real well, but the brown in the canary wood matched the browns in the lacewood.

Billy's suggestion of a solid black wood sounds like it'd look nice.

A few years ago when I was fairly green, I combined lacewood with red oak. It's subjective but I still like it after several years.

Attachments

• LW-OAKJB1.jpg
    LW-OAKJB1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 17
I made a quilt rack using lacewood and figured maple. I thought this was a nice contrast but it is just a mater of preference and opinion. Here is a photo for reference.

Quiltrackfinished1.JPG

I don't know if it is common for lacewood to to be riddled with small cracks running along the grain but mine sure did. I filled and stabilized these cracks with ca glue and sawdust.

Way Cool Dewayne!!!:thumb:

Sorry to tromp on the post but couldn't help it...

Back to the primus, Lacewood in itself is so lovely that it needs no embellishment. It depends on the project, the Quilt rack like Dewanes, did wonders for the wood but a small box will stand on its own and needs no accompanying wood to highlight, I've seen some georgeous projects where the "Secondary wood" was the same general species although not figured, it made the accent of the Lacewood explode as it stood on its own surrounded by "meager specimens".