The Lone Star Woodturners Assoc. is official!

Steve Russell

It's official! On February 4th, 2008 the AAW granted chapter status to the Lone Star Woodturners Association in The Woodlands, Texas! I was honored to be elected President of the chapter for 2008 – 2009. We have a great set of dedicated officers and directors in place to lead our club for the coming year.

In the last few weeks, we have been busy getting everything in place to get the chapter up and running, like getting a club logo, setting up a newsletter, starting to build our club website, discussing locations for meetings, demonstration topics and a hundred other little things…

We will have a club "Open House" meeting on March 29th in The Woodlands, quickly followed by three days of demonstrations at The Woodworking Shows (April 4 – 6th) in the Reliant Centre. If you live in the North Houston/Woodlands Texas area, or any of the surrounding areas in Montgomery, Liberty, Walker, North Waller or San Jacinto counties and would like more information about our club, please email me at: steverussell2436@comcast.net

Our website is still being developed, but there is a short information page up with a link to our first newsletter and a membership application here:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lswa.html

Happy Birthday to the LSWA!:D:D:D

Congrats, Steve. (Good to see you pop in here, too.) Sounds like a lot of work getting the club groundwork laid, but it should be worth the work. :thumb:

Thanks guys!

We're all very excited about starting a new club... There's something neat about building something from scratch! :D I'm fortunate to have a dedicated and energetic Board of Directors to help lead the club. I'm getting emails almost every day from turners in the area who want to join. I think this area can easily support a club of 150 - 200 members. That would be way cool! :D:D:D Take care and best wishes to all of you.

Wow Steve, that really is a good number of people to have in a group. I would guess that at meetings you will get at least 20 or 30 people on a regular basis :thumb:

You should have some fun doing demos etc, maybe even bring in some out of town talent? :D

Do you have a place to meet, or will it be the traveling meeting for a while, at different member's workshops?

Again, congrats on the new club, and thanks for taking a lead in this, I'm sure a lot of newbie turners in your area will benefit from this hard work. I know that when I found our local club, the first demo I went to I learned more in an hour watching a pro than I could in a year fooling around myself.

Clubs really help everyone.

Cheers!

I really need to get off my duff and attend one of my local club meetings. The Glendale Woodturner's Guild meets just a few miles from my house...it's a large club with lots of talent. It's just a matter of taking the time on a Sunday afternoon to attend a meeting. 2:00 PM on Sunday is pretty early in the morning for me. ;)

Thanks Stu...

Hello Stu,

This is a great area for woodturners, so I know we will grow rapidly. :D The northern area of Houston has never had an AAW club before, so we're breaking new ground!

We will be looking at bringing in some well known turners and maybe even some artists from other artistic disciplines. I've been a member of other art clubs before and have learned a lot from painters (traditional oil/watercolor and acrylic, as well as custom automobile painters), sculptors and multi-media artists. Many of their techniques can directly transfer to woodturning...

We will be meeting at a few of the members studios initially, as we look for a permanent location in the area. Once you start getting 50 - 75 members at each meeting, you really need a large and well appointed space. It will be a good challenge to have and I'm looking forward to it...:D Thanks and all the best to you and yours!