Island finished! ##UPDATED PHOTOS##

Very distinctive and solid looking. Is that color charcoal or a really dark blue?

Depends on your monitor I guess. ;) I have a dual monitor system and it looks different on each one. But it is supposed to be black. It actually has a hint of green to it in the Lab under the florescent lights. I brought up a piece and it's almost black in the incandescent lights. I think once it's installed it will actually look black like it is supposed to be.

Where do you plug it in? I thought you just restored old arn? :rolleyes:

I restored old arn so I could build furniture. :D

Very nice Jeff. Did you make the top?

No, it was a bench top in an old factory here in town. Now a HUGE salvage store. I picked it up for $40 but it was pretty rough. I had posted photos on it before but here is what I started with. About an hour with a 50 grit on the belt sander, some hand planning and then some sanding and it looks perfectly old. Looks original to our house. :rofl: Well to the age everyone thinks it is.

top1.jpg

Just got installed today. And ............ there was a problem, but I will come back to that. Wife tried to break here wrist on snow skiing trip so she is still operating with 1.5 hands. We managed to load the Island on my trailer and get it around to the front of the house and with some ingenuity we got moved into the kitchen and installed.

installed.jpg installed2.jpg

I have a policy that I don't point out my mistakes. But I have learned so much from others on different forums by their mistakes that I have to share this one. Even though I am so embarrassed by what I did. We put the island in place and then put the top on it. We both instantly noticed that it was too tall. I also instantly knew what I had done. I forgot to allow for the top. I made the cabinet 36" tall. Not 36" tall to the top! :doh::doh::doh::doh: So it was 1 5/8" taller than the counter tops and it REALLY SHOWED!! Such a dumb mistake. I just could not believe I missed that.

Fortunately I could cut down the legs and no will be the wiser. I don't like the lack of space under there now. But I must say even I don't notice it now that is all in place. I bet you didn't notice it till you read this. ;) Otherwise pretty well pleased with it.

Last edited:
Nice addition to the kitchen, Jeff.

Regarding your mistake and solution: I suspect simply growing two inches taller was out of the question? :rofl:

Cool Stove...

Being married to a chef www.chefcarlin.com and loving to cook also I immediately noticed your stove.

Nice island too....

The height thing is always a problem. I did the same thing yesterday when I thought I had made a new drill press stand too short. I forgot I was adding another 2 layers of 3/4 ply which would give me my 1 1/2" I was missing...