Mushrooms!!

Stuart Ablett

Well, I left that stack of wood too long, and now I got mushrooms :D

mushroom1.jpg

mushroom2.jpg

mushroom3.jpg

I saw Eli Avisera turn some of these, and thought they looked fun!

They were! :D

I've got to refine my technique a bit yet, but they are surely fun!! :thumb:

I have two pieces of that Ginko wood, that were branches, maybe 4" thick.

This one was not really round,so the rim of bark did not work out, but as I work up the branch further it gets rounder.

I need some hollowing tools, guess I'll have to make some! :D

Cheers!

Fun to turn too!

I need to make up s few hollowing tools, I don't have anything but some scrapers, which are all straight!

My wife thought it was neat, and my kids are already fighting over it :thumb:

I made them leave it at the L shop. :D

I need to make up a light that goes inside, he would shape the inside and outside fairly well, then put the light inside and do the outside again, until it was T-H-I-N :D the tops too. Mine is too top heavy, but it will do as a start! :)

Cheers!

Looks great, Stu. I have one on my todo list but making a mushroom box. You should give it a go - it would make a nice ring holder for you better half :)

Welcome Gari.

Our Stu lives in Japan and owns/manages/runs a Liquor shop, "L" for short.:D Beer, wine, spirits and cigars, among other things I imagine. He has made some displays for his goods and is in the process of building a Humidor for his cigars.

You might do a search on him and see his "Dungeon" workshop and see some of his examples of ingenuity.

You can also go to his profile page and/or his website by clicking on his name and choosing one of the options. His site has many wonders and treats.

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/

Last edited:
Just curious. Do you ever display any of your work in the L shop for sale?

Not yet, my wife does not thing they will sell :rolleyes:

She suffers from an affliction that lots of wives do, they see us just make stuff and we do it all the time, so they consider it "normal" and no one pays for "Normal" :rolleyes:

The wine shelves that I made recently, she was impressed and she likes them very much, but she has no idea of their value, not really. She knows how much I spent for them on materials etc, and how much time I spent on them, but she does not really value them in a way that she should, IMHO.

Then a buddy, who also runs a L shop (sorry Gari, Mark is right a Liquor shop) came by, the was blown away by the shelves, he asked how much it cost to "Have them built" and I told him about $350 or so, he could not believe it, he said he'd take ten sets :D

My lovely wife was a bit shocked. He told her that he had one set of shelves built, similar to the size I had built, they were no where near as nice, and did not fit exactly into the space he wanted (not custom) and he paid nearly $1000 for 1/3 of the shelving............ :rolleyes: I think she had to pick her jaw up off the floor :D

The problem is she still thinks my turnings are just for fun, I gave her another bowl the other day, and she was like "oh, another bowl.....:rolleyes: " So I suggested we sell it on auction or at the shop........... still waiting on a decision.

I plan on selling some stuff in the L shop, and online at some point.

Sorry to be long winded, but I'm sure a lot of turners, and woodworkers, can relate. :D

Cheers!

Stu, I had forgotten about these until you mentioned the other day when we were piling the wood in that you were gonna make some shrooms. Looks great and a fun project for the kids.

Not yet, my wife does not thing they will sell :rolleyes:

She suffers from an affliction that lots of wives do, they see us just make stuff and we do it all the time, so they consider it "normal" and no one pays for "Normal" :rolleyes:

The wine shelves that I made recently, she was impressed and she likes them very much, but she has no idea of their value, not really. She knows how much I spent for them on materials etc, and how much time I spent on them, but she does not really value them in a way that she should, IMHO.

Then a buddy, who also runs a L shop (sorry Gari, Mark is right a Liquor shop) came by, the was blown away by the shelves, he asked how much it cost to "Have them built" and I told him about $350 or so, he could not believe it, he said he'd take ten sets :D

My lovely wife was a bit shocked. He told her that he had one set of shelves built, similar to the size I had built, they were no where near as nice, and did not fit exactly into the space he wanted (not custom) and he paid nearly $1000 for 1/3 of the shelving............ :rolleyes: I think she had to pick her jaw up off the floor :D

The problem is she still thinks my turnings are just for fun, I gave her another bowl the other day, and she was like "oh, another bowl.....:rolleyes: " So I suggested we sell it on auction or at the shop........... still waiting on a decision.

I plan on selling some stuff in the L shop, and online at some point.

Sorry to be long winded, but I'm sure a lot of turners, and woodworkers, can relate. :D

Cheers!

Dude I can relate.

Fortunately for me, LOML seems to be genuinely interested in what comes out of my shop. She also understands there's artistic value to it as well as utilitarian value, and welcomes my attempts to sell stuff. And she really likes round things in general, so the lathe was a shoo-in.

Where I get the spousal sucker punch is my guitar playing. She totally doesn't get it, yet since about the age of 8, it's been one of the key things that makes me who I am. (She didn't know me when I did it for a living, and she's never seen how audiences used to react to seeing and hearing me perform. There's not many jobs where people cheer for you every 3 or 4 minutes.) :rolleyes:

I have a buddy who also runs a liquor shop, he is an "Ar-Tist", and he dresses the part, funnly round glasses, goatee, goofy, stuck in the 60's clothes, even drives a VW microbus, his last show consisted of brown paper bags, filled with air, arranged around a room......... :huh:

Time before that was piles of sand, about 12" x 12" around the room.......

But he is an "Ar-Tist" he made some chunk of wood, that he painted sort of funny and stuck some nails in it, called it art, sold it for $1000....

My wife is VERY Japanese in the way that someone who dares to be different and calls him/herself an "Ar-Tist" is one.

Me in my jeans, t-shirts and ball cap, well, I'm just a woodworker, I get paid by the hour (I wish!).

I've been saying for a long time, that I need to grow a beard, and start riding an old Triumph, or something, I can take up smoking a pipe, and wearing funny glasses (even though I got my eyes fixed) call myself an "Ar-Tist" and charge what I want :D

Cheers!