Inlay Stringing

Alex Reid

Back in July I completed a dining table in bubinga and curly maple. I posted a link about the the stinging I did on the legs. My most recent wood hinge PDF was quite popular with over a 1000 downloads so I thought I would go back and put the string inlay tutorial I did into a downloadable PDF as well.

www.mokkou.jp/inlay/Inlay_Stringing.pdf

I will try to continue to do this more often as I am working in the workshop.

Thanks, Alex! Downloaded and reviewed the pdf quickly. One question that comes to mind is where did you get the router base for the dremel? I have a couple router bases from Dremel, but they are all plastic. The base you picture is metal with a single pin, instead of an all-flat registration base. I really like that idea.

Thanks, Alex! Downloaded and reviewed the pdf quickly. One question that comes to mind is where did you get the router base for the dremel? I have a couple router bases from Dremel, but they are all plastic. The base you picture is metal with a single pin, instead of an all-flat registration base. I really like that idea.

Sandy, the base was purchased from Stewart and McDonald. They are luthier suppliers.

Very cool Al, I just printed it up so I can keep a hard copy on file :thumb:

That router base is very cool, and only $51.95, not bad for such a good tool (I have a Dremel already).

Cheers!

...That router base is very cool, and only $51.95, not bad for such a good tool (I have a Dremel already).

Cheers!
It's about $100 if you get the edge guide (which I think would be a key component), but that's still a darned good price for what it allows you to do. I used to have a plastic router base for an older Dremel, and it was real handy. (I got it when I was doing guitar repairs way back when.) Still, the plastic one wasn't as nice as the Stew-Mac version looks.