Second Birdseye on Pedestal, Please Comment

I really appreciate everyone's comments on the first Birdseye and since I am allowed up to 6 entries to the local Art Exhibition this June, I am once again asking for everyone’s critique and/or comments. Taking the vast majority of comments of the first version into consideration, this second one is different; overall darker in color, a different center of balance and is slightly taller than the first piece.

The hollow form is out of curly birdseye maple (endgrain) and is 4 ½” diameter x 2 7/8” high. It was stained with Watco Light Walnut Danish Oil to really make the birdseye pop. The pedestal and finial are out of cherry and have been stained with Varathane ‘Espresso’ Wood Stain to dramatically darken the grain. Everything has been sanded to 400 grit and at this time has no other finishes applied. The height of the piece with finial in place is 13”.

Second Birdseye.JPG

Also, I once again ask for name suggestions.

I appreciate your input!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Steve that is beautiful. Like I said the only thing if were me is I would have made the pedestal shorter. Just my preference though. I like how you used a little stain to darken the cherry and pop the birdseye. Well done.

Absolutely stunning, Steve. I must, however, agree with Bernie. The pedestal is tall enough to make it appear - to my untrained eye - a bit out of balance.
But I still think it's beautiful.:thumb:

To my completely untrained eye, it looks unstable and fragile. That being said, the piece is extraordinary in shape and beauty. Your proportions seem right, but perhaps the gentlemen are correct in that it seems to have too much "stem".

For a name, Birds Nest came to my mind when looking at it. Like the type of birds that build nests in really dangerous outcrops that look like they'll fall right out! ;)

I preferred the first one but couldn't say why so I put them side by side.
First one seems simpler and more in proportion. Second definitely looks top heavy in comparison IMHO

Hope this helps to see the difference
Pete

First one's hollow form had a more pleasing shape and I think its finial was much more beautiful.

Second one's stand has a better flow but it does look longer for the overall piece.

Another awesome piece, Steve. :bow: I also think the pedestal looks a bit long or leggy to my eye, but because of the length and thinness of the pedestal shaft, the piece has a certain "that's amazing" quality to it as well. The finial and pedestal forms are nice and complimentary to the vessel, although I think I'd prefer to see the bigger bulb on the pedestal instead of the finial. It might help to lower the visual center of gravity a bit. (As usual, these are personal opinions to be taken with whatever size block of salt you feel is appropriate.) :p

I still have a ways to go before I can make finials or pedestals that come close to yours. :thumb: Great job.

Another beautiful piece! You've certainly achieved the delicacy you were shooting for.

I'd almost prefer to see it without the base. The finial seems much heavier than the base which makes it appear out-of-balance.

Hi Steve :wave:,
A very delicate piece. What do you think about the shape/proportions/balance/color contrast/continuity, etc? :dunno:
Shaz :)
Your ability to do fine woodworking is unquestioned! :D

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and observations! I do appreciate it!

Shaz - asking me what I think about the shape, etc. is fairly hard for me to put into words. What I was trying to achieve with this piece was to try and create a certain 'Wow' factor. The pedestal was intentionally turned very thin and left non-descript as I wanted it to almost disappear. I hoped the illusion that the hollow form looked somewhat suspended in the air would cause the viewer to focus more on the hollow form and finial - which for the most part has more traditional proportions.

As for the finial - I turned a small number of them - some thinner, some longer but settled on this particular one as a good combination of length and form. Personal choice on my part - but then that's why I put this post out for critiques and comments. I am learning and everyone's viewpoint matters to me as it either reinforces what I am attempting to create or offers me ideas and suggestions for improvement. Either way - I learn!

Once again - thanks everyone! :wave:

What I was trying to achieve with this piece was to try and create a certain 'Wow' factor. The pedestal was intentionally turned very thin and left non-descript as I wanted it to almost disappear. (Hi Steve :wave:, You do get that WOW from me!:thumb: With the slender pedestal it is quite "airy", thin non descript however quite lovely to my eye. Had the turned foot (it shows the largest mass) taken on a three footed appearance that too might have added to the openness,but that would be a different process all together :dunno:.) I hoped the illusion that the hollow form looked somewhat suspended in the air would cause the viewer to focus more on the hollow form and finial ( I think that occurs even though the stem is not lost in the viewing.) - which for the most part has more traditional proportions.

As for the finial - I turned a small number of them - some thinner, some longer but settled on this particular one as a good combination of length and form. Personal choice on my part (This is the most important thing in my opinion, until you actually see why it would be nicer to you in a different form I wouldn't change anything :D!) - but then that's why I put this post out for critiques and comments. I am learning and everyone's viewpoint matters to me as it either reinforces what I am attempting to create or offers me ideas and suggestions for improvement. Either way - I learn!

My take on the finial.
Consider the stem, which you must as it is part of the whole. The foot swoopes up nicely to a thin rim then bulges out round, tapers gracefully into the stem and as that rises a common taper occurs (related to the lower nodule) and another nodule appears. This narrows quickly to thin rim then expands into a nice little holder for the maple. You take the finial in the same direction with the thin neck but does not conclude on the upside with the gentle taper, rather it concludes like the shape of it's own underside. That and the fact that the size is much larger than the shapes in the stem seem to draw attention to it in an almost aesthetically confusing way. :huh:

Mind you Steve, these pieces of "Art" are way beyond anything I could even imagine turning. I feel a little like a coach who never played trying to coach a pro. You have a style that you need protect, to "be all that you can be"! Listen to advice and do it your way!!:thumb:...S)
Once again - thanks everyone! :wave:

You are on a great path with your work.
Congratulations.
Shaz :)
P.S. If you change nothing you have a great piece.

Thanks Shaz - for taking the time to explain your observations! I do understand everyone's concerns with the finial but have not decided whether to take the time to turn another version or not. I have another hollow form on the lathe at this moment and once it is finished will give the finial some more thought.

Again, thank you for your viewpoint!